[comp.sys.cbm] C64 Hard Disk?

ferguson@x102c.harris-atd.com (ferguson ct 71078) (04/05/89)

(Why is it I feel silly asking this?)

Is anyone aware of or had experience with any hard disks for a C64?  I
would be willing to pay decent bucks for one so I won't have to flip
through boxes of floppies to find programs.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Ferguson             Harris Government Information Systems Division
(407) 984-6010             MS: W1/7732  PO Box 98000  Melbourne, FL 32902
Internet:                  ferguson@cobra@trantor.harris-atd.com
uunet:                     uunet!x102a!x102c!ferguson

brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) (04/06/89)

In article <1880@trantor.harris-atd.com> ferguson@x102c.harris-atd.com (ferguson ct 71078) writes:
>Is anyone aware of or had experience with any hard disks for a C64?  I
>would be willing to pay decent bucks for one so I won't have to flip
>through boxes of floppies to find programs.

 Hmm...if "decent bucks" translates to $700+ for a 20mb, Xetec sells the Lt.
Kernal HD,  and it's been well received in the marketplace. But banish right
now those thoughts of equality in price to IBM hard drives..these things
aren't cheap.

--
Brendan Kehoe
brendan@cup.portal.com    | GEnie: B.KEHOE  | Oh no! I forgot to say goodbye

TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) (04/06/89)

In the note,"C64 Hard Disk?", ferguson@x102c.harris-atd.com (ferguson ct 71078) says:

>(Why is it I feel silly asking this?)
>
>Is anyone aware of or had experience with any hard disks for a C64?  I
>would be willing to pay decent bucks for one so I won't have to flip
>through boxes of floppies to find programs.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I owned a hard disk for my C=64 for a while.  I was running a BBS on it.
A Xetec Lt. Kernal Drive will run you $750 for 20 megs.  Seem steep?
That's because they're the only people that build them for the C=64
(I believe...the others went belly-up).  If you want more info on these,
call: (717)454-3694.  They are running a BBS on the Xetec 20 meg.
-------
| Tony Marasco                 |  UUCP: psuvax1!psuvm!trm900              |
| Penn State University        |  BITNET: trm900@psuvm.BITNET             |
| Schuylkill Haven Highway     |                   - or -                 |
| Schuylkill Haven, PA 17976   |  trm900%psuvm.psu.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |
| "Questions are a burden for others.  Answers are a prison for oneself." |
|       -- The Prisoner                                                   |