[comp.sys.cbm] 6550 chip for VIC-20

remaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Phillip A. Remaker) (04/05/89)

Does anyone know where I can get 6550 controller chip for a VIC 20?  Or for
that matter, does anyone know where I can get a working VIC-20 cheap?  I'm
using mine as a controller and my 6550 is nuked.  No one can tell me where
to find one.

Help!

The above is from the unpredictable mind of Phillip A. Remaker|          /|
University of PA, Moore School of Electrical Engineering      | ----/\--< |
remaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu "Ma!  I gave the cat some acid!" |     \/   \|

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (04/05/89)

In article <9571@netnews.upenn.edu> remaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Phillip A. Remaker) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get 6550 controller chip for a VIC 20?  Or for
>that matter, does anyone know where I can get a working VIC-20 cheap?  I'm
>using mine as a controller and my 6550 is nuked.  No one can tell me where
>to find one.

Probably because you have the wrong number- the VIC video chip is 6560 (CBM
part number 901491-01).  You can still find them from Jameco (415)592-8097
to Commodore (215)436-4200.  There is also something called a "VIC exchange
kit" which may make sense in your case (spare parts for your entire system,
or just in case you are wrong about the video chip being bad).
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (04/07/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <9571@netnews.upenn.edu>, remaker@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Phillip A. Remaker) wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can get 6550 controller chip for a VIC 20?  Or for
>that matter, does anyone know where I can get a working VIC-20 cheap?  I'm
>using mine as a controller and my 6550 is nuked.  No one can tell me where
>to find one.

I wasn't aware that the VIC-20 HAD a 6550 (for that matter, can't
think of what a 6550 might be...)  If you mean a 6560/6561, try a
place called Kasara (check electronics magazines).  The VIC is so old
that I am not sure they are available any more.

Failing that, several places were selling old VIC motherboards that
"might" work.  You could pull the 6560 off of one of those.

>Help!

Amen.
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA (Stephen M. Dunn) (04/08/89)

   Try Jameco Electronics.  They're a mail-order firm somewhere in California,
and they sell just about every chip that you'll ever find in a 64 or VIC-20
(yes, they even sell the custom gate arrays from the 64!).  I don't have their
address, but they advertise in BYTE and probably several other computer
magazines.

   The only problem is that I would imagine they have a minimum order, so if
the chip is less than that, you'll have to fill out an order by buying some
other stuff (buy a whole load of wire and some DB-25 connectors, put 'em
together in your basement, and sell them to friends as null modems ;-)

Hope this helps.

Regards
! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
! This space left unintentionally blank - vi ! I'm only an undergrad !