[comp.sys.cbm] Koala screen info needed!

kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) (04/10/89)

	If anyone out there has any knowledge about hi-res multi-color
screens produced by the Koala touch tablet, I need help!!!!
	I have a program I am writing ( attempting to...) in which I
would like for the Koala screen to be the first thing booted.  So far, I
can get the screen to load, supposedly into locations where the Koala
Painter program stores the data, but the locations confuse me.
	Using Micromon, I zeroed out all of basic memory and loaded the
Koala screen.  The only data that shows up does so between $6000 and $8800.
The *amount* of memory makes sense, 10K=2K for screen memory + 8K for data.
But the positioning of the data doesn't make sense!  Having screen memory
that high requires VIC bank switching, correct?  If so, then how does the
VIC chip see the screen on one side of the $8000 dividing line and character
data on the other, or even the other way around?
	I have a copy of a PD program that allows you to view the screen
without loading the Koala painter program.  I have gotten and read an ML
dump of the program, but, maybe I'm dense, it doesn't help a great deal.
	HELP!!!
	Thanx in advance,

	K W Smith, Jr.

| "Supreme Being?  You mean God?"         |
| "Well, we don't know Him THAT well!"    |
|                          - Time Bandits |

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (04/11/89)

In article <428@galen.acc.virginia.edu> kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) writes:
>	If anyone out there has any knowledge about hi-res multi-color
>screens produced by the Koala touch tablet, I need help!!!!
>	I have a program I am writing ( attempting to...) in which I
>would like for the Koala screen to be the first thing booted.  So far, I
>can get the screen to load, supposedly into locations where the Koala
>Painter program stores the data, but the locations confuse me.
>	Using Micromon, I zeroed out all of basic memory and loaded the
>Koala screen.  The only data that shows up does so between $6000 and $8800.

You have the file format almost figured out, but what you must do is place the
data into the proper places yourself.  The Koala file format (also used by
Super Sketch) is simply for the convenience of having only one file- it is not
the way the data is organized for display.

As you indicated, the bit map data starts at $6000, the video matrix at $7F40,
and the color nybbles at $8328.  The background color is stored at $8710.  It
is a multicolor screen, obviously.  If you were using a C128, just BLOAD the
file to $2000 after a GRAPHIC3,1, transfer the video matrix data to $1C00, and
transfer the color nybbles to $FD800 (if you're using the monitor, make the
processor nybble bank = VIC nybble bank by writing $74 to location $01, and
ignore the verify errors).
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380