[comp.sys.cbm] 64k Video Chip

tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) (04/07/89)

A friend of mine is going to upgrade his C128 with a 64k video chip. I remember
reading all kinds of info in this regards about 8 - 10 weeks ago. Does some-
one have a synopsis, or any of the articles that they could e-mail me?
I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tom

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (04/08/89)

In article <1346@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) writes:
>A friend of mine is going to upgrade his C128 with a 64k video chip. I remember
>reading all kinds of info in this regards about 8 - 10 weeks ago. Does some-
>one have a synopsis, or any of the articles that they could e-mail me?

There are 3 ways to get 64K VDC video RAM: buy a C128D, replace the two 4416
DRAMs in the video can (u23, u25) with two 4464's (18-pin, 120ns), or buy a
"solderless" VDC RAM upograde kit from SSI (206)695-1393 (about US$50).

Assuming option #1 is out of the question, consider the kit from SSI if you
are not a technician.  Desoldering in the confines of the video can is not
easy.  The solderless tower simply requires you to remove the socketed 8563
chip, install the tower, and stick the 8563 into the tower.

I personally have not seen or used the SSI thing, nor am I connected in any
way with SSI.  I have just heard good things about it (save for the weak
instructions, but the task is rather simple).

Needless to say, Commodore does not recommend these hacks, and such hacks
are done at your own risk.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/08/89)

 > From: fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen)

 > Assuming option #1 is out of the question, consider the kit from SSI if you
 > are not a technician.  Desoldering in the confines of the video can is not
 > easy.  The solderless tower simply requires you to remove the socketed 8563
 > chip, install the tower, and stick the 8563 into the tower.

   No kidding. I've worked with circuit boards and, the first time I did the
VDC RAM chip upgrade, I managed to destroy a circuit trace and had to replace
it with a jumper (the schematics in the C128 PRG were very handy...)

   One question: if  remember correctly, the VDC was enclosed in the can...
wouldn't installing a tower preclude closing that can and perhaps even putting
the RF shield back in place? (I could be wrong; I haven't owned a 128 since
fall of '87 and my memory of its internal arrangement isn't perfect).

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (04/11/89)

In article <2015.24402790@isishq.FIDONET.ORG> izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>   One question: if  remember correctly, the VDC was enclosed in the can...
>wouldn't installing a tower preclude closing that can and perhaps even putting
>the RF shield back in place? (I could be wrong; I haven't owned a 128 since
>fall of '87 and my memory of its internal arrangement isn't perfect).

As I indicated, I have not installed, used, or even seen the tower myself.  I
suspect you would have trouble putting the lid back on the video can, although
you might be able to re-install the RF shield.

This is one of the reasons Commodore cannot condone or recommend such system
modifications.  I would imagine most people just forgo the shield anyhow.

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/11/89)

 > From: fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen)

 > As I indicated, I have not installed, used, or even seen the tower myself.
 > I suspect you would have trouble putting the lid back on the video can,
 > although you might be able to re-install the RF shield.
 >
 > This is one of the reasons Commodore cannot condone or recommend such
 > system
 > modifications.  I would imagine most people just forgo the shield anyhow.

   I dunno. Most of the people I know left the RF shields in (unsoldered,
though). I pretty much had to; when I got my 128, the 128/1902A/1571 went into
a basement room with a C64/8250/4040 and a SuperPET/SFD and a 4032. If I
hadn't paid a fair bit of attention to shielding in each of those devices, I'd
never be able to hear anything on the radio! (Bv>)