[comp.sys.cbm] COMMODORE 64 power supply

simon@hhb.UUCP (simon chan) (04/04/89)

I believe my Commodore64's power supply is bad.
I can only get the 5 volt DC but the 9 volt AC is not there.

I need help to locate one of the following item:
	(a) a (very very cheap) power replacement for the Commodore64. It cost
		more then the computer itself, if I get a new one.
	(b) a transfomer which convert the 120v AC into 9v AC.
		So I can cut the cable and put the patch 9v.
	(c) a way to jump the Commodore64 to use DC only.
		I don't understand why the stupid thing need 9v AC.

	many thinks!
							Simon Chan
							201-848-8000
							princeton!hhb!simon

brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) (04/05/89)

In article <185@hhb.UUCP> simon@hhb.UUCP (simon chan) writes:
>	(a) a (very very cheap) power replacement for the Commodore64. It cost
>		more then the computer itself, if I get a new one.

 Service Merchandise has a power supply with plug-ends for the 64, Vic, and
128 for about $20-$30, last time I saw it...a friend of mine's running a
BBS with one, and it hasn't died yet (knock knock).

--
Brendan Kehoe
brendan@cup.portal.com    | GEnie: B.KEHOE  | Oh no! I forgot to say goodbye

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (04/07/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <185@hhb.UUCP>, simon@hhb.UUCP (simon chan) wrote:
>	(b) a transfomer which convert the 120v AC into 9v AC.
>		So I can cut the cable and put the patch 9v.

Try Radio Shack.  I did.  I think I ended up with an 11VAC unit which
works just fine.

>	(c) a way to jump the Commodore64 to use DC only.
>		I don't understand why the stupid thing need 9v AC.

The AC is used for the clocks, and to generate some voltages inside
the machine.  Additionally, many user port devices need it.  It can
probably be "fudged" if you have a 12VDC supply and a little
creativity.  Anybody made a DC -> AC circuit and made a portable 64?
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (04/19/89)

In article <1893@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
> In comp.sys.cbm article <185@hhb.UUCP>, simon@hhb.UUCP (simon chan) wrote:
> >	(b) a transfomer which convert the 120v AC into 9v AC.
> >		So I can cut the cable and put the patch 9v.
>
> Try Radio Shack.  I did.  I think I ended up with an 11VAC unit which
> works just fine.
>
> >	(c) a way to jump the Commodore64 to use DC only.
> >		I don't understand why the stupid thing need 9v AC.
>
> The AC is used for the clocks, and to generate some voltages inside
> the machine.  Additionally, many user port devices need it.  It can
> probably be "fudged" if you have a 12VDC supply and a little
> creativity.  Anybody made a DC -> AC circuit and made a portable 64?
> --
> jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
> USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31
> 	West Allis, WI  53227-3329	"These aren't anybody's opinions."
> Voice:	414/321-6184			Data: 414/321-9287 (Happy Hacker's BBS)

 There was a series on converting the C64 to 12 volt operation in
Computer Trader Magazine (or CTM, now defunct) in 1987.

For an AC supply, find one of the surplus Coleco supplys, part PS
72559 (there are other part numbers but this is the most common).
A lot of 64 users here in Detroit are using these, they are stiff
enough to run two 64's at once.  Plus five volts is available and
you use the transformer winding originally intended for the minus
5 volt supply to furnish 9 volts AC.  These supplys go for around
twelve bucks.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh