[comp.sys.cbm] Max Toy

dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) (04/26/89)

I thought Everybody would be interested in this...

>Article 35058 of comp.sys.amiga:
>From: chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>Subject: Toy resigns
>Date: 25 Apr 89 12:03:51 GMT

From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.

Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations

West Chester, Pa. -- May Toy resigned as the head of U.S. Operations at
Commorodore International Ltd. after a year and a half at the job,
apparently because of continuing furstrations at the company over
lackluster U.S. results.

Chairman Irving Gould declined to elaborate on a news release's single
sentence about Mr. Toy, which said he "resigned to pursue other interests."
But Mr. Gould said that "we still have a tremendous way to go in the U.S."
Mr. Gould, Commodore's major shareholder, called its U.S. strategy sound,
but said he thought the execution had been weak.  The company as a whole
has been progressing, he said.

Mr. Gould has described himself as an impatient man, and the personal-
computer maker has been a revolving door for senior executives in the past
few years as U.S. operations have been slow to turn around.

Mr. Toy was succeeded by Harold D. Copperman, formerly a marketing
executive with Apple Computer Inc.

Mr. Toy declined to comment on why he left, except to say that "it was my
choice, my decision, and I'm very, very happy with my decision."  He also
said that "I'm real happy with what we accomplished."  Mr. Toy, who has held
senior positions at Compaq Computer Corp. and ITT Corp., added that he has
several alternatives for other jobs, but that he hasn't yet chosen one.

In New York Stock Exchange composite trading yesterday, Commodore closed
at $18.50, down 37.5 cents.

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

Dave Nye
=     //     Dave Nye -- President, Southern New Hampshire AMIGA Users Group  =
=    //      dnye@bbn.com    dnye%bbn.com@relay.cs.net  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye  =
= \\//       BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., My Employers computer, MY opinion.. =