[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 Repair

kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) (04/26/89)

	I recently posted an article regarding problems with my 1581.  (Many
thanx to all who helped.... :)  I recall reading in this newsgroup a while
back about people having the controller chip replaced.  At the time, my drive
had been used for about 4 months with no problems at all.  Now it is destroying
almost every disk I use!  (Yes, I've stopped using it for the moment...)
	My question is where did those of you who had the replacement done
get it done?  Did you send the drive off to Commodore, or did you have it
serviced locally?  Needless to say, my drive is no longer under warranty.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanx in advance,

K W Smith, Jr.

|   "But it's only a toilet seat!"                       |
|   "Oh, no.  It is much more.  It is a means            |
|    to summon us!"                                      |
|                   -Quotes from Clive Barker's little   |
|                    known film: "LIDRAISER"             |

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (04/27/89)

In article <460@galen.acc.virginia.edu> kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) writes:

>	I recently posted an article regarding problems with my 1581.  (Many
>thanx to all who helped.... :)  I recall reading in this newsgroup a while
>back about people having the controller chip replaced.  At the time, my drive
>had been used for about 4 months with no problems at all.  Now it is destroying
>almost every disk I use!  (Yes, I've stopped using it for the moment...)
>	My question is where did those of you who had the replacement done
>get it done?  Did you send the drive off to Commodore, or did you have it
>serviced locally?  Needless to say, my drive is no longer under warranty.
>Any help is appreciated.

Your local "official" CBM service center will do if for free, even
if your drive is out of warentee.

It took ALOT of hasseling both the repair center, and Commodore
to get them talking to each other, but I finally got it done.

    "What is another word for 'Thesaurus'?"  Steven Wright

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]