[comp.sys.cbm] C-Power questions

bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen) (04/22/89)

I've got a few questions about C-Power that I know have been discussed
here in the past, but I never needed the answers, so they weren't saved.
So if anyone can answer any of these for me, I'd appreciate it:

1) First, and most simply, what's the current status of C-Power. Version
   number, company name, etc? I bought mine about 3 years ago and I think
   I remember the rights being sold or something like that. Is that BBS
   still running for bugs, etc?

2) From C-Power I need to read/write to the rs-232 port. I think it would
   probably be easiest to just do the whole thing through the sys()
   function (I don't care how portable this code is). But does anyone
   have a cleaner way?

3) I plan on merging my C object files with a lot of assembly object files
   created by the C-Assem assembler posted here a few years back. Can any-
   one explain how the parameters are passed to a function so I can access
   them in the assembly?

Thanks for any help.

Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)		FAX:	   (716) 636-3464
University at Buffalo		BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET
				Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen

doug.purdy@canremote.uucp (DOUG PURDY) (04/25/89)

I connected with the C-Power bbs last night at (416) 276-6811,
Mississauga, Ontario (Toronto). It runs 1200 baud max, n,8,1 on C64
Punter bbs software as node 11 on the Punternet.

It seems to give you 30 minutes right off (I never called there
before). There are about 170k of messages or somewhat less than 6000
forty column lines of capture for the whole base. I used an XT with
hard drive and read the messages after setting continuous read
"cont" "0". The read took about 28 minutes at 1200.

Many of the older messages seem to be to "all" as answers to
commonly asked questions:
C Power is a C language  compiler  for
the C64 and C128. A newer release of C
Power  by   the   Spinnaker   software
company is being sold under  the  name
Power C.  Because  of  this  you  will
often see  the  compiler  referred  to
here as C Power C.

Other messages say there is a number of files for C Power C
available for downloading.

I passed your message on to them a few days ago. Perhaps someone has
already replied.

I know nothing about C or C Power C but I have been looking for
information on it for a friend who runs an MS-DOS and Commodore
oriented bbs in eastern Ontario. I usually check this conference and
can pass messages easily to C-Power bbs as a local call. Be warned
that sometimes I don't get a chance to turn on the modem for weeks
but there are probably others who also could pass messages back and
forth.
Doug Purdy
---
 * QDeLuxe 1.00 #243  .

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: doug.purdy@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!doug.purdy

awg@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.w.gaunt) (04/27/89)

In article <5397@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen) writes:
(edited)
> I've got a few questions about C-Power that I know have been discussed
> here in the past, but I never needed the answers, so they weren't saved.
> So if anyone can answer any of these for me, I'd appreciate it:
> 1) First, and most simply, what's the current status of C-Power. Version
>    number, company name, etc? I bought mine about 3 years ago and I think
>    I remember the rights being sold or something like that. Is that BBS
>    still running for bugs, etc?
> 2) From C-Power I need to read/write to the rs-232 port. I think it would
>    probably be easiest to just do the whole thing through the sys()
>    function (I don't care how portable this code is). But does anyone
>    have a cleaner way?
>
> Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)		FAX:	   (716) 636-3464
> University at Buffalo		BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET
> 				Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
> UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen

I have seen several pleas for help with rs-232 communication with
C on the cbm computers.

I have used the rs-232 port on a c128 with
both C-Power (128) and Super-C (128) by "opening" the port as a
file. I opened it like I would with basic. The exact syntax
escapes me at this moment. I used the same chr$() in the filename
(for baud, parity etc) as the C128 programmers reference describes.

If anyone cares to see the actual code I can probably dig it up
and post it here. It worked! Unfortunatly the abundance of bugs
in both compilers discouraged me enough to re-write my program
for a BASIC compiler.

BTW
I called the CBBS in November and it was operating.

C-Power was purchased by Spinaker(?) and renamed Power-C (I think).