[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm Disaster VT100

djn1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (04/23/89)

	Desterm's menu system, screen flexiblity, up/downloading, dialing
colors, and many other things are much better than Kermit 2.2 . However, the
VT100 emulation is bad.  Kermit's emulation was 10 times better than that of
Desterm's.  I have had several things go wrong since I got it today.

	1).  When I use gnumacs or there is constant scolling, the screen likes
to feed me a bunch of Commodore's graphic characters.  In Emacs, whenever I
hit the backspace or a line comes in down at the bottom.  The screen prints
all these graphic characters (like what is happening to me right now).  If I
do a control L the screen will print what I actually typed except at the
bottom.  When I delter a charcter on a line that has text, the whole line then
switches to Commodore's graphic stuff.  I have tried all the possible
combinations on the backspace setup menu.

	2).  Sometimes the save setup file will either lock the computer up or
give me a different type error.

	3).  The 50-52 length screen is a nice feature.  but when the screen
scrolls,  my nice dark-grey character color is replaced with a wild, flickering
white color.

	4).  The hangup feature only works when you are off the system and when
you get off it hands up automatically, so that feature is about useless.

	I was wondering why the file sizes of Kermit 2.2 and Desterm.

If any has similar problems tell me about them, so I would think that I set
something up wrong  Or if you want tell me if I set something up wrong.

						 thanks
 							dan nix.

        /---\        /    /            /----------------------------\
       /    / /---/ /\   / --/-- \ /   |============================|
------/----/-/---/-/--\-/---/-----%----|  djn1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu  |)
     /----/ /   / /    / __/__   / \   |============================|
                                       \----------------------------/

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/25/89)

 > From: djn1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

 >         1).  When I use gnumacs or there is constant scolling, the screen
 > likes
 > to feed me a bunch of Commodore's graphic characters.

   Not Commodore graphic characters (DesTerm operates in ASCII internally, not
Commodore codes!)... perhaps PC characters or part of the VT100 line-drawing
set. These problems have been addressed and will be re-examined as often as
people come up with concrete problems.

 >         2).  Sometimes the save setup file will either lock the computer up
 > or give me a different type error.

   We haven't heard this one before; what disk drive are you using?

 >         3).  The 50-52 length screen is a nice feature.  but when the
 > screen
 > scrolls,  my nice dark-grey character color is replaced with a wild,
 > flickering
 > white color.

   That's new, too. Do you mean *while* it's scrolling, or that the colour is
changed by the scroll?

 >         4).  The hangup feature only works when you are off the system and
 > when
 > you get off it hands up automatically, so that feature is about useless.

   Grr... Hangup does the following:

(1) Drops DTR;
(2) Waits for the Carrier Detect line to go false;
(3) Sends the "modem hangup string" if carrier isn't dropped.

   IF (1) you have the modem configured to ignore DTR; (2) the modem doesn't
indicate Carrier Detect; or (3) you haven't made sure that the hangup string
matches what the modem interprets as a hangu command, then this feature won't
work.

   I can assure you that this feature, if no other, works fine on properly
configured systems.

 > I was wondering why the file sizes of Kermit 2.2 and Desterm.

   ??? - why ... what? I haven't seen Kermit for the 128, so I can't guess
what its file size is. I'm sure that, if you take a look at what DesTerm does
(both in terms of various functions and presentation), you'll realize that
there's a lot being done in there. Except for disk I/O, DesTerm is its own
operating system, for instance. We don't use the ROM for anything else,
including:

- RS-232 (obviously, if you've seen our baud rate select window);
- Keyboard
- Screen

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot

djn1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (04/28/89)

	Thanks for the info on the hangup settings.  I did find away around
the graphic characters poping up, but it was a minor pain.  Before when I
had the screen in 50 line mode, the screen would turn the characters white
when scrolling up from the bottom.  But now this phenomenon has disappeared,
and now works perfectly.  When I wrote the question about the file sizes
between kermit and Desterm, It got cut off, and what I mean to ask is why the
Desterm file is only slightly larger than Kermit and yet does many more things
than Kermit.

	By the way, is there a way to turn the wrap feature on,  I could
not find any mention of it in the docs??

							Thanks,
							  Dan Nix.