[comp.sys.cbm] C-16

quirk%citron.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (Christine Reynolds) (05/02/89)

A friend is trying to locate spare parts or software for a C-16.
I have never heard of this machine.  Can anyone provide any info?

----
Chris Reynolds                  domain: quirk@hubcap.clemson.edu
CS Dept, Clemson University     uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!quirk
phone: (803)656-{2639,3444}

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (05/03/89)

In article <5358@hubcap.clemson.edu>, quirk%citron.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (Christine Reynolds) writes:
> A friend is trying to locate spare parts or software for a C-16.
> I have never heard of this machine.  Can anyone provide any info?

I tried to Email this, but it bounced:

The C-16 was the "baby brother" of the PLUS/4.  They were the first two
Commodore computers completely compatible with each other.  The only
difference was that the PLUS/4 had a word processor, spreadsheet, and
database in ROM (Very poor implementations, I might add) and had 60K of user
memory (the C-16 had 12k).  They had Basic 4.0 instead of the VIC/C-64's
2.0.

The serial bus and the video outputs are the same as the VIC/C64/C128, but
the user port is slightly different, and a unique joystick and cassette
unit were used.  Commercial C-64, etc. software is completely
incompatible.  Commodore published a few programs for them; very few
third-party outlets picked up the gauntlet.  One that did was Academy
Software, PO Box 9403, San Rafael CA 94912.  They published a C-16/PLUS-4
version of their instrument flight simulator.  They might still have a few
copies left.

As for repairs and replacement parts, forget it.  Actually, the C-16
keyboard has appeared on the surplus market, but I doubt if anyplace
handles repairs.  If your friend is gonna throw out his C-16, let me
know... I have a small collection of old CBM machines, and my C-16 is inop.
I'll pay for postage to ship it to me...

                               _|_
                 	      /(_)\
                      -------:==^==:-------
                           [[|  o  |]]
  -----------------__________\_____/__________-----------------
                          _  /     \  _
                         T T/_______\T T      Ron Wanttaja
			 | |         | |      (ssc-vax!wanttaja)
			 """         """

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (05/03/89)

In article <2630@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
>The C-16 was the "baby brother" of the PLUS/4.  They were the first two
>Commodore computers completely compatible with each other.  The only
>difference was that the PLUS/4 had a word processor, spreadsheet, and
>database in ROM (Very poor implementations, I might add) and had 60K of user
>memory (the C-16 had 12k).  They had Basic 4.0 instead of the VIC/C-64's 2.0.

No, the PLUS/4 and C16 were not completely compatible- the C16 lacks the 6551
ACIA built into the +4, and the C16 has only 16K bytes of RAM, not 64K.  The
BASIC version is 3.5, although it does includes most of the DOS commands.

>The serial bus and the video outputs are the same as the VIC/C64/C128, but
>the user port is slightly different, and a unique joystick and cassette
>unit were used.

The C16 does not even have a user port.  The joysticks used on the C16/+4 are
the same as usual, but the connectors were little round DIN things.  Adaptors
are easy to build.  The dattasette was different, as was data on the tapes.

>As for repairs and replacement parts, forget it.  Actually, the C-16
>keyboard has appeared on the surplus market, but I doubt if anyplace
>handles repairs.

Last I heard, some IC parts and manuals were available from Commodore- call
customer support for availability, cost, etc.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

givler@cbmvax.UUCP (Greg Givler SUPPORT) (05/03/89)

In article <6748@cbmvax.UUCP> fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) writes:
>In article <2630@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
>>The C-16 was the "baby brother" of the PLUS/4.

>>As for repairs and replacement parts, forget it.  Actually, the C-16
>>keyboard has appeared on the surplus market, but I doubt if anyplace
>>handles repairs.
>
>Last I heard, some IC parts and manuals were available from Commodore- call
>customer support for availability, cost, etc.
>--
>--
>Fred Bowen

The C-16 can still be repaired by Commodore Service centers if they want to
work on them, but they are not obligated to.

There is a company called TRI-MICRO in CA that has software and hardware for the
PLUS4 and the C-16

Tri-Micro

714-549-1848

For catalog send $2.00 to:

Plus Exchange
P.O. Box 15907
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Greg
Greg Givler                        Q-Link: Commodore
Telecommunications Coordinator     CompuServe: CBM/Support 76703,2047
Commodore Customer Support         INTERNET: givler@cbmvax.uucp
215-436-4200 (Support Line)        OR :::::: givler@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
I usually have something clever to say.... but.... oh well.....