[comp.sys.cbm] Archives for Commodore

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (05/03/89)

In article <844@alzabo.UUCP> rob@alzabo.UUCP (Robert Hilchie) writes:
>I understand there is a version of Kermit floating around which includes VT100
>emulation (I think it was even posted here once upon a time). If anybody has a
>copy of it lying around, could you please email it to me? Thanks,

This kind of posting usually appear everymonth in this newsgroup.  I think
we need a "Comp.sys.cbm.archives" to store stuff for the commodore, like
Kermit or desterm.  I think it should save everybody a lot of trouble by
requesting the same files again and again and again and again...

(BTW, why there is no "comp.binaries.cbm" or "comp.sources.cbm"?.  Is this
a conspiration against Commodore users or what?)

                    acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen) (05/03/89)

In article <16958@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) writes:
>(BTW, why there is no "comp.binaries.cbm" or "comp.sources.cbm"?.  Is this
>a conspiration against Commodore users or what?)

The creation of one of these groups was attempted last year and it failed.
If I remember correctly, the primary reasons were that

1) The only thing that would be posted would be games and nothing useful.
   We all know that's the only use for a Commodore, right?

2) Binary groups in general are a waste. Never figured this one out since
   these same people did not propose removal of the other binary groups.

3) Commodore machines aren't as popular as others, so the extra bandwidth
   used by these groups would be wasted on only a few people. This argument
   is somewhat valid given that the average readership of binary groups
   as compared with the sys groups is usually only about 25%-30%. Given
   that, the expected readership of a cbm binary group would only be about
   1700 (this group has a readership of about 6200). A readership like
   that would put the group very near the bottom of the newsgroup popularity
   list.

So the solution at the time was just to post things here. If someone doesn't
like it, they can stop carrying the group.

Devon

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/03/89)

 > From: bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen)

 > So the solution at the time was just to post things here. If someone
 > doesn't like it, they can stop carrying the group.

 ... or approve the application for comp.binaries.cbm...

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot

trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie (Tommy) (05/03/89)

> (BTW, why there is no "comp.binaries.cbm" or "comp.sources.cbm"?.  Is this
> a conspiration against Commodore users or what?)

 I second the motion. There is something seriously amiss here.[no pun
intended]

Tommy

 $P-)                            : FLAMES  HIGH LOW DO  TURN-DIAL LOOP ;
E-mail: trolfs@vax1.tcd.ie           MAX_NUM  CONSTANT SPELLING-MISTAKES
:If you don't get a reply, let me know. Sometimes my mail enters the TZ:
Some say I'm obsessed by Forth. Well I say I'm 0=. OK

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (05/04/89)

In article <16958@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) writes:
>(BTW, why there is no "comp.binaries.cbm" or "comp.sources.cbm"?.  Is this
>a conspiration against Commodore users or what?)

No, just not enough people reading comp.sys.cbm to justify it.  Someone
could always create alt.binaries.cbm, but I wouldn't bet on a lot of sites
carrying it.

I *think* those blessed with FTP (not me) can get Kermit 2.2 that way,
but I don't know of any other 8-bit CBM software getting archived these days.

People have always been encouraged to post *source* here -- with one lone
squawk about 2 yrs. ago when about 1/2 Meg of source got sent out all at once.
That easy fix for that is to just dribble it out in small chunks for a few
weeks (also makes it easier to mail pieces to people who don't get it).

For binaries, there's no big problem with posting really popular things like
Kermit & DesTerm -- as long as it doesn't happen that often.  It's a matter
of traffic vs. the number of readers; lots of traffic in a low-readership group
like this one will surely attract the attention of the net.gods.

Of course, there's always BBSes.  With FidoNet gateways to Usenet in place,
maybe a friendly sysop could set up an "archive" for software of interest.
Or even better, one is already set up & we don't know about it....
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
If potatoes aren't computers, why are there potato chips and potato bugs?

drew@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Drew Eisenhauer) (05/05/89)

In article <5641@cs.Buffalo.EDU> bowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon E Bowen) writes:

>So the solution at the time was just to post things here. If someone doesn't
>like it, they can stop carrying the group.

Devon, you're being sarcastic here, right? Don't see any little :-)'s so
I'm not sure...

But for my own two senses wortth :-) I sa GO ARCHIVES, GO!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Is not conscience a pair of breeches; though a cover for lewdness
as well as nastiness, is easily slipt down for the service of both?

gpoy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (05/11/89)

In article <18192@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:

>I *think* those blessed with FTP (not me) can get Kermit 2.2 that way,
>but I don't know of any other 8-bit CBM software getting archived these days.

Actually, there is one FTP site I know of that archives a few Commodore 8-bit
programs, namely, tolsun.oulu.fi (128.214.5.6).  The directory is called
c64.

Sheldon Luberoff          |"Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit out of a hat!"
gpoy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu +---------------------------+ --Bullwinkle J. Moose
{many stable sites}!cornell!vax5!gpoy                 | (This space for rent)