[comp.sys.cbm] Commodore's Apathy

brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) (05/20/89)

carus@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (bryce.w.carus) wrote in comp.sys.cbm article <867@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>:

>Amigas? PC clones? Atari's? Apples?- I don't think so. These machines will all
>sell but they don't satisfy the need for a simple, easy to use, $300 system.

 I used to work in an Apple/IBM store part-time (gasp..the Mac IIx justified
it for me..smile)..I saw dozens of people come in with $600, their eyes
nervous, and ask "Can I get a computer?" The cheapest, an Apple IIc, ran for
about $1200. You can't imagine how it felt to see good, holesome people get
a desire to learn shoved right back down their throats by big business with
the "come back when you've got more money" attitude echoing in their ears.
For its price & market, the C64 has incredible power...some aspects of which
rival the mid-level business market. Who'll replace them? No one.

>Why would schools spend big bucks to fill a room with Apples when they could
>fill four or five rooms with c64's?

 Cuz when Apple gave away  all of those computers when they started out, they
made "Apple" & "Education" permanently emblazoned together on peoples' brains.

>I wrote the code for Explode and Video Byte and they are selling well. To hear
>the experts talk, there was no market for these things. I know people are still
>trying to find Koala pads which are like gold. Who is going to sell stuff to
>the brand new owners of a million units from last year?

 All of the 'old' software houses.

>If Commodore drops the c64, I think Atari or Japan Inc. will fill the void with
>a similarly priced clone and clean up.

 I dunno bout this...the custom chips like the VIC II and SID would be (I think)
pretty difficult to duplicate without breaking any copyrights..

--
Brendan Kehoe
brendan@cup.portal.com    | GEnie: B.KEHOE  | Oh no! I forgot to say goodbye