[comp.sys.cbm] Stereo SID cartridge?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/22/89)

I'm interested in getting the Stereo SID cartridge for my C128 (since I'm
most likely going to be using my C128 in a music theory class next year, and
I want my compositions to sound *good*).

Does anyone else out there in NetLand have this cartridge?  How good is it?
Will it work with any programs other than the Stereo Sidplayer?  (Speaking
of which, are there any Stereo Sid Editor programs out there?)

Is it exactly like having a second Sid chip soldered into the machine?  I mean,
is it identical for all extensive purposes to physically adding a second Sid
piggyback onto the first?

What kind of service have you gotten from the company that makes it?  How is
the documentation, how quickly did you receive it in the mail, &c.?

How much does it cost?

And, one more time, what's the address I write to for it? Something about Dr.
Evil Laboratories, if I remember correctly...

Thanks!
--
| Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering   / Triforces! \ Courage | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

bobc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) (05/22/89)

In article <8597@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> I'm interested in getting the Stereo SID cartridge for my C128 (since I'm
> most likely going to be using my C128 in a music theory class next year, and
> I want my compositions to sound *good*).
>
> Does anyone else out there in NetLand have this cartridge?  How good is it?
> Will it work with any programs other than the Stereo Sidplayer?  (Speaking
> of which, are there any Stereo Sid Editor programs out there?)

I can vouch for the sound of the cart itself, especially when hooked up to a
stereo amplifier.  The theme to 2001 just about rattle my furniture when I
ran the accompanying Stereo SID Player program.  I myself would like to know
where to get the Stereo SID Editor

> Is it exactly like having a second Sid chip soldered into the machine?  I mean,
> is it identical for all extensive purposes to physically adding a second Sid
> piggyback onto the first?

Not quite.  You have to provide a fresh 9 volt battery when the one that is
supplied with the cart runs down.  The warn against external battery substitute
since they generally aren't regulated enough.  I suspect that you could leech
off the 9 volts from the user port but haven't asked if this is safe.  The
chip is also addressed at $DE00, I believe.

> What kind of service have you gotten from the company that makes it?  How is
> the documentation, how quickly did you receive it in the mail, &c.?

There isn't much documentation.  There is some about the programs on the Stereo
disk ($1.00 extra, not bad.)  Most of what is there is about installation and
handling.  Lots of warnings about not touching the edge connector and storing
in static safe container.  Also advice on removing the cart when not running
the program in order to conserve on battery power.

> How much does it cost?

I believe the cost was $34.95.  Then a buck for the disk if desired.\

> And, one more time, what's the address I write to for it? Something about Dr.
> Evil Laboratories, if I remember correctly...

Dr. Evil Laboratories
P. O. Box 190
St. Paul, IN 47272

NOTE:  That is not St. Paul, Minnesota (MN)

Get it.  You'll like it.
=             I know it's petty..........                                     =
-                  But I have to justify my salary!                           -