[comp.sys.cbm] 1571 and Assembler-64 incompatibility

eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) (05/24/89)

My setup at home is a C-128 (which spends nearly all its time in C64 mode),
a 1571, and a NEC (C. Itoh) printer with a TYMAC Connection interface.
When I use Assembler-64 (the standard Commodore package) to get an
assembled listing of a large program, I get one page printed on the printer
and then the Assembler quits, apparently because it received an EOF on the
source file it was reading.  When I slapped my 1541 in place of the 1571,
everything worked fine (as it had before I obtained the 1571/C-128).

What's going on?  It seems to be the 1571 prematurely closing files.  The
assembly I'm doing uses a lot of the .FIL and .LIB commands, and I believe
that it opens up the maximum number of simultaneous sequential files on the
drive.  I'm not the type of person to leave devices on my serial bus
without turning them on, and the TYMAC interface doesn't have the unused
(in pre-1571 days) pin of the serial bus connected to it, so the extra
signals on the serial interface (if they even appear in this configuration)
aren't affecting it.

Will this problem be fixed if I upgrade ROMS?  How do I get the latest?
Please cc your replies to elr@trintex.UUCP, as my connections on this
machine are somewhat unreliable...

--
Ed Ravin                  | hombre!dasys1!eravin | "A mind is a terrible thing
(BigElectricCatPublicUNIX)| eravin@dasys1.UUCP   | to waste-- boycott TV!"

izot@f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/25/89)

 > From: eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin)

 > What's going on?  It seems to be the 1571 prematurely closing files.

   OK, here's my guess (could be way off base, but enough of these guesses
might dig up the problem...):

   The 1571, when powerered up, is in 1541 mode. This is automatically changed
to 1571 mode when it is accessed using a burst mode command (by a C128).
However, it will stay in 1541 (single-sided) mode if used by a C64 or a C128
in 64 mode.

   If for any reason your drive is being reset (either by a hardware or by a
UJ command) by the C64, it will return to single-side mode and any attempts to
access files which are on the top (second) side of the disk will cause errors
(and, if your software is kinda smart, "premature closing" of the files.)

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171!izot