[comp.sys.cbm] DICTIONARY.

dan.eagleton@canremote.uucp (DAN EAGLETON) (06/10/89)

I am not sure where you could find a dictionary for Pocket Writer. (
Paperback Writer is an older version... )

Do any of the  other users out there know where Bill can find one?

Thanks.

Later - Dan Eagleton

* NOT QMAIL -1.0:  Can't you tell I dont use Qmail!

 * QNet 1.03a2: CONNECTed II 'THE BBS' - Peterborough, Can. (705) 743-7296.

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (06/12/89)

A year or two ago I *made* a dictionary for Pocket/Paperback Writer from the
public domain CP/M dictionary which is part of SPELL 2.1, with a few other
sources thrown in for good luck. As a result, I have two versions - one
which fits on a single sided disk, and a second slightly more extensive one
which requires a 1571 or 1581 drive. They were made the low-tech way, by
feeding the dictionarys in to PW as text, running the spell check, and putting
a little rubber foot and a book and the "a" (for add) key for several hours
while PW added them all to the dictionary! PW is so heavily protected as to
preclude decoding it to find out the format required of the dictionary, and
I've never been able to make heads or tails out of the encoded dictionary
format itself. These dictionaries work especially well in conjunction with
PW-2 and the 1750 RAM expander (which PW-2 supports); it only takes a minute
or so to copy the dictionary to ramdisk, and from that point on, the spell
check flies on a C128.  On the 64, I belive you have to get out of PW and run
the spell checker separately, and I never could get it to run reliably with
the original version of Paperback Writer 128.

PW-2(128) is my absolute favorite word processor, so much so that I never even
bother to look a other word processors any more.  I only wish it wasn't so
heavily protected - it comes on an incredibly flimsy diskette which has been
hanging in there for years now, but it makes me nervous anyway.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

firebug@agora.UUCP (Sam Guidice) (06/15/89)

In article <89061112455824@masnet.uucp> dan.eagleton@canremote.uucp (DAN EAGLETON) writes:
>I am not sure where you could find a dictionary for Pocket Writer. (
>Paperback Writer is an older version... )
>

>Do any of the  other users out there know where Bill can find one?
I never could find one either, the program itself allows you to start your own.
I also added my spellcheck disk from Wordwriter by loading each alpha file
into pocket writer as tho the program had a letter in it, then added each
word to the dictionary.  It works!