[comp.sys.cbm] 80 columns and other things....

ntmx@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (06/17/89)

Hello, fellow Cbm users. I am glad that there is a net for us, since this
is my first posting to it:
I have a couple of questions:
1) I have a c-64, and I was wondering if there is any program that will turn
my screen from 40 to 80 columns so I can use it for vax/vms purposes?
Also, is there any way I can attach a keypad to my 64 so that I can have
an enter key?
2) Are there are BBS's in Ithaca or in the vicinity that are cbm compatible?
(1200 baud, 2DD, 40 column color monitor)
Thanks a lot.

Happy computing!
  -Rusty

Aaron L. Lloyd                                 ntmx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
200 Highland Avenue                            Cornell Information Technologies
Ithaca, N.Y. 14850                             Ithaca, N.Y. 14853
Disclaimer: I (and only I) am responsible for what I say.
"Sun's up. Time to fly." -Lestat, King of the Vampires

ksk@well.UUCP (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji) (06/18/89)

In article <18820@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ntmx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Aaron L. Lloyd) writes:
>I have a couple of questions:
>1) I have a c-64, and I was wondering if there is any program that will turn
>my screen from 40 to 80 columns so I can use it for vax/vms purposes?

Well you can try the Kermit program... it has a VT100 emulator wich simulates
80 columns on the C64...

>Also, is there any way I can attach a keypad to my 64 so that I can have
>an enter key?

As far as I know the 'RETURN' key is the 'ENTER' key... what do You need more?

							Greetings Kianusch

rcop@neabbs.UUCP (ROBERT COP) (06/26/89)

Yes, there is it's Kermit 2.0

Keith_Jeffrey_Kushner@cup.portal.com (06/26/89)

Re: 80 cols on the C64 for VAX/VMS work...

There are some terms in the public domain that give the C64 an 80 column
screen emulation in software. The best, in my opinion, is CXCBTerm 6.7,
available on CompuServe. It emulates a DEC VT-52, and can be configured
to give a true BREAK key. There are other PD terms that emulate a DEC
VT-100, available from local BBSes or national telecom services.

In the commercial area, there is VIPTerm XL, if still available. It also
emulates a VT-52 in software, and has 40, 64, 80, and 108 column screens.

You'd need a monochrome monitor to get any real use out of any of these
terms, as a color monitor, or any TV, lacks the resolution to show 80 columns
clearly.

As for a keypad, Cardco used to make a programmable 16-key kaypad for the
C64/VIC, but I doubt it would be compatible with any of the above terms.
Maybe you could get by with programmed function keys instead.

I hope this helps.

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/28/89)

 > From: Keith_Jeffrey_Kushner@cup.portal.com

 > As for a keypad, Cardco used to make a programmable 16-key kaypad for the
 > C64/VIC, but I doubt it would be compatible with any of the above terms.
 > Maybe you could get by with programmed function keys instead.

   CardCo also used to sell hardwire adapters, which plugged in-line where the
keyboard plugs into the motherboard. This gave you 100% compatibility, but the
hardware solution sacrificed the ability to reprogram the keys to suit your
need/taste.

   Geoff (izot@zswamp)

--
 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh