[comp.sys.cbm] Colored diskettes - write protection warning

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (06/29/89)

I found yesterday, quite to my astonishment, that the infrared LED/photo-
transistor sensors used in some disk drives can "see right through" color
diskette shells such as those used by Sentinel color diskettes. I found
that I could put such color diskettes into two of my drives upside down
and format and write to the back sides WITHOUT punching a notch! This
applied to every color - red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, etc... not
just the light ones! Yet black shell diskettes would always lock out
writing ok. This does not apply to the 1541/1571 family (at least not the
ones I have), but is definitely happening on some 1541 clones. I assume
that the composition of the plastic is such that it is semi-transparent to
infrared light, and the drives in question are overly sensitive to the small
amount that leaks through.

The warning, therefore, concerns commercial software distributed on color
diskettes with no notch present in the disk. It may not be safe to assume
that it is impossible to accidentally write on the disk! It is easy enough
to test your drive(s) for this condition - just try to format the back side
of an empty color diskette without punching a hole.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (06/30/89)

In article <POSTNEWS6463@NADC.ARPA> prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
>I found yesterday, quite to my astonishment, that the infrared LED/photo-
>transistor sensors used in some disk drives can "see right through" color
>diskette shells such as those used by Sentinel color diskettes.

Interesting.  I have warned folks in the past about using paper-type
write-protect tabs, which can have the same effect.  Also, I often find
myself working on disk drives with the top case cover removed (imagine
that :-).  It was not until I wasted a day or two chasing after problems
that I discovered the sunlight was effectively "shorting" the write-
protect and disk-present photo sensors.  And all along I thought I just
naturally worked better at night.

--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380