[comp.sys.cbm] C+4

bartle@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Aron Bartle) (07/10/89)

Hello people...

	A friend of mine has one of those wierd Commodore + 4 deals. I
	never even heard of the thing, but she apparently bought it for $60
	on some home shopping network a few years ago, and NEVER EVEN TURNED
	IT ON (real power-user, huh?). I hooked it up & figgured out how to
	run the four built-in software packages (probably adequate for her
	needs), as well as playing around in BASIC. Anyway, she now (three
	years later) actually wants to make this thing into a real system.
	(e.g. disk drive, printer, possibly modem) I am aware of the substantial
	user base for the C64 & C128, and I wonder... is this thing C64
	compatible (e.g. hardware/software)? The BASIC language appears
	identical to the 64, and the keyboard is the same also. Honestly, I
	could not reccomend expanding a system like that if it's not compatible
        with the more popular C64. Also, she may be interested in a used
	disk drive, printer, or modem (hint!hint!).

I don't think there is a need to clutter up the net with responces, so I would
	very much appreciate email, if you would, to bartle@gondor.cs.psu.edu

Thanks in advance, Aron.

p.s. this .signature is a little messed up. sorry...

"and even now part of me flies over
 dresden at angles one five
 though they'll never fathom it
 behind my sarcasm

givler@cbmvax.UUCP (Greg Givler - Customer Support) (07/10/89)

In article <4762@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> bartle@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Aron Bartle) writes:
>Hello people...
>
>	A friend of mine has one of those wierd Commodore + 4 deals. I

For software and hardware needs for
the Plus4 you should contact a company
called TriMicro:

TriMicro
P.O. Box 11300
Santa Ana, CA 92711

714-549-1848

Also you can try the Plus4 User's Group at:

The Plus4 User's Group
Box 1001
Monterey, CA 93942

Or call:

408-883-0818

The Plus4 Programmers Reference Guide is available from:

Scott, Foresman and Company
Professional Publishing Group
1900 East Lake Avenue
Glenview, Illinois 60025

312-729-3000

The authors are Cyndie Merten and Sarah Meyer

Greg Givler                        Q-Link: Commodore
Telecommunications Coordinator     CompuServe: CBM/Support 76703,2047
Commodore Customer Support         INTERNET: givler@cbmvax.uucp
215-436-4200 (Support Line)        OR :::::: givler@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
"Life is pain, Highness, anyone who says differently is selling something"
 - The Dread Pirate Roberts -- The Princess Bride

marco@hprnd.HP.COM (Marco Gonzalez) (07/11/89)

>	A friend of mine has one of those wierd Commodore + 4 deals. I
>	never even heard of the thing, but she apparently bought it for $60
>	on some home shopping network a few years ago, and NEVER EVEN TURNED
>	IT ON (real power-user, huh?). I hooked it up & figgured out how to
>	run the four built-in software packages (probably adequate for her
>	needs), as well as playing around in BASIC. Anyway, she now (three
>	years later) actually wants to make this thing into a real system.
>	(e.g. disk drive, printer, possibly modem) I am aware of the substantial
>	user base for the C64 & C128, and I wonder... is this thing C64
>	compatible (e.g. hardware/software)? The BASIC language appears
>	identical to the 64, and the keyboard is the same also. Honestly, I
>	could not reccomend expanding a system like that if it's not compatible
>        with the more popular C64. Also, she may be interested in a used
>	disk drive, printer, or modem (hint!hint!).

 The Commodore +4 is NOT (no es) Software compatible with the C-64. Only simple BASIC programs can be compatibles. That means that in no way comercial programs
written for the C-64 will run on the +4. That's because the C-64 and C+4 are
very different computers, the great video chip and the sound chip (VIC2 and SID)
were replaced by other less-capable chips.
 The Commodore + partially hardware compatible with the C-64/128. The serial port is the same, so all the printers and disk drives that connect to this port
Should work.(Joysticks, cartridges and other stuff is not compatible).
 And finally, you are right, It's not a good idea to reccomend expanding such a system.

 My opinions are MINE. They DON'T reflect in any way or form those of my
 employer.