[comp.sys.cbm] Stereo Sidplayer

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (07/05/89)

Many of you are probably familiar with Stereo Sidplayer, that wonderful PD
program which reads Sidplayer files and tickles two SID chips at once. When
version 10.x came out (up to 10.1 or 10.2 by now), the author announced plans
for a MIDI module to be available in the future. Does anyone know if this
MIDI capability was ever completed for Stereo Sidplayer (thereby transforming
it into version 11.x)?

I did run across a stereo MIDI player written by a different person, but it
patched into the playback process *after* vibrato, portamento, and other special
effects and put out MIDI events that sounded pretty terrible. Craig
Chamberlain's mono MIDIplayer really sounds excellent, but I've been relatively
unsuccessful in disassembling it with intentions of building a stereo version.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) (07/11/89)

In article <POSTNEWS7490@NADC.ARPA>, prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
> Many of you are probably familiar with Stereo Sidplayer, that wonderful PD
> program which reads Sidplayer files and tickles two SID chips at once. When
> version 10.x came out (up to 10.1 or 10.2 by now), the author announced plans
> for a MIDI module to be available in the future. Does anyone know if this
> MIDI capability was ever completed for Stereo Sidplayer (thereby transforming
> it into version 11.x)?

The current version of Stereoplayer is 10.3.  It corrects a few bugs from v10.2
and adds support for a couple of compressed graphics picture formats.

Mark has still not released his MIDI module yet, and has in fact quit talking
about it.  The last I heard, he was thinking of re-writing the whole thing
from the ground up to clean it up.  Maybe he has run out of memory?!

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The ideas and opinions expressed here are entirely mine, not my employer's.