[comp.sys.cbm] How to un-arc an archive file ?

mo8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/13/89)

I have a C64 archive utility program.  After I load and run it, the
screen says something like :

C64 ARCHIVE FILE UTILITY VERSION 2.30
COPYRIGHT BY AMPERE METAL 1986

current date xxxxxxxxx
ready

Now let say I have an archive file abc.arc.  I tried to do something like:

load "abc.arc",8,1

The 1541 keeps reading and never stops !  If I did this:

load "abc.arc",8
run

then the screen would say

ready

So, what am I missing here?  Did I use the correct program or procedure
to un-arc an archive file ?  Please HELP !
                                                             PATRICK
PCW@SQUID.TN.CORNELL.EDU
PWONG@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU
MO8J@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

aliu@castor.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu - "ArchLich of Navarrone") (07/14/89)

Archive on the c64 is a wedge program. That means, you load up archive and
run it. You get the "ready." message again. Then, you have a couple of options
such as:

to list the files in an archive, type:

arc/l filename[.arc]        (arc extension is optional)
arc/v filename[.arc]        (verify an archive)
arc/c filename[.arc]  file1 file2 file3 ...  (create an archive)
arc/x filename[.arc]        dissolve an archive

[] denotes optional text

By the way, try to find version 2.5 (250). The docs are available at the
finnish compuker mentioned before, ftp  128.214.5.6, but I think they are
version 2.3  Get the docs, there are many more commands available. Key thing
is: 1) you have to type the commands in dirrect mode.
    2) never put any spaces in a filename (if there is a space, use ?)
    3) you don't load the archive in memory (most likely it would crash the
       computer, by loading over the zero page)
    4) if you download the archive by x-modem, use the "fix" command to
       remove the padding:

      arc/f filename[.arc]

Also, there is a little unarc'er that un-arcs MS-DOS files (created on IBM's,
amigas, atari ST's, etc)...

Good Luck, and GET THE DOCS.

brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) (07/14/89)

mo8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU wrote in comp.sys.cbm:

>So, what am I missing here?  Did I use the correct program or procedure
>to un-arc an archive file ?  Please HELP !

 First, you're missing the docs!!
 To simply extract the files from an arc file, do:

 arc/x <filename>

--
Brendan Kehoe
brendan@gryphon.com |  "Oh No! I forgot to say goodbye to my mind!"

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Geoffrey Welsh) (07/14/89)

 > From: mo8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

 > Now let say I have an archive file abc.arc.  I tried to do something like:
 >
 > load "abc.arc",8,1

 > load "abc.arc",8
 > run

 > So, what am I missing here?  Did I use the correct program or procedure
 > to un-arc an archive file ?  Please HELP !

   You can't run a file in ARCed format! Give the command:

arc /x abc

   Geoff

P.S.: WARNING: Chris Smeets' ARC (for the C64 and C128) is *not* compatible
with the ARC format designed by System Enhancement Associates ("SEA") and used
by many programs. If Chris' ARC utility reports an archive type error, the
file is most likely a SEA format archive. I should have CSXARC, Chris'
SEA-compatible ARC dissolver, lying around here somewhere. Because of bad past
experiences with posting shareware here, I will only send it (UUENCODEd) via
UUCP mail to those specifically requesting it. Requests to any address in the
sig below.

UUCP:      watmath!egvideo!zswamp!izot    | 66 Mooregate Crescent
FidoNet:   SYSOP, 1:221/171               | Suite 602
Internet:  izot@zswamp.fidonet.org        | Kitchener, Ontario
PunterNet: 7/GEOFFREY WELSH               | N2M 5E6 CANADA
BBS:       (519) 742-8939 24h/7d 9600 HST | (519) 741-9553

 Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh
 Internet: Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG