[comp.sys.cbm] vt emulator

tc1ujk@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU ( Repo Man) (07/13/89)

I just started using my commodore 64 to connect to a Unix system.
But, I need a good terminal program that can enable me to use most
of the functions of a Vt terminal.  Does anyone know of a terminal
program that can emulate a vt terminal for a c-64?
What are commodore users using now?
I currently have a Punter protocol, ccgms, and a Vidtex program..
Suggestions are appreciated and helpful...

Please send me mail or reply to this ad.

Thanx,

=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:
Repo Man
tc1ujk.sdcc3.ucsd.edu
=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:

aliu@castor.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu - "ArchLich of Navarrone") (07/13/89)

In article <4394@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> tc1ujk@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU ( Repo Man) writes:

>Does anyone know of a terminal
>program that can emulate a vt terminal for a c-64?

There are to my knowledge:

1) Kermit, available through FTP from a lot of sitest. I think you could
           try j.cc.purdue.edu
           supports Kermit (c-kermit) x-fers (slow), vt52/100 emulation
           in 40/80 cols. (not reliable on the 64 at 2400!)
2) Vtermite(s), couple of versions support 40/64/80 cols, and vt100 in 80
           cols mode.
           Protocol: Xmodem. Can do 2400, with a little hacking, but you'd
           be "Computing on a prayer" (Crashes a lot)
3) Cmmon Sense: vt52, neat back-scrolling... (the 64 version)

Even though CCGMS may be a nice term, it is NOT a mainframe term. My favorit
non-mainframe term is Darkterm.

BTW, Vtermite II THINK is available at 128.214.5.6

Anyone knows of a good term program for the 64 that supports Ymodem? (bat)
I know Ed Parry has brought it to the Commodore World, but he's not releasing
the source to public domain. (The routines will be available in future
EBBS 64, and I thnk they are already available in Ebbs 128)

What about a good vt52 or 100 emulator that can do 2400?

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (07/13/89)

In article <4355@merlin.usc.edu>, aliu@castor.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu - "ArchLich of Navarrone") writes:
> 2) Vtermite(s), couple of versions support 40/64/80 cols, and vt100 in 80
>            cols mode.
>            Protocol: Xmodem. Can do 2400, with a little hacking, but you'd
>            be "Computing on a prayer" (Crashes a lot)

While VTERMITE claims to emulate vt100 in 80 cols. mode,  as recent as
yesterday when I used it to connect with a VMS machine, the emulation
failed the vt test sequence sent out by the VMS machine after logon.
Did anybody have the same problem ? Or just I did something wrong.

Patrick     pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu
            pwong@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
            mo8j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

po87553@tut.fi (Ojala Pasi Juhani) (07/14/89)

In article <4394@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> tc1ujk@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU ( Repo Man) writes:
>..
>But, I need a good terminal program that can enable me to use most
>of the functions of a Vt terminal.  Does anyone know of a terminal
>program that can emulate a vt terminal for a c-64?
>What are commodore users using now?

  I use this PD-software called V'termite. This release is 1.1 but I
also have a 1.2-version (or release 12..). This is a finnish software
and contains:

 - Vt100-emulation
 - Keymacros
 - Xmodem protocol up/download
 - 40,64,80 chars/row (new version has proportional chars too)
  (vt100 only in 80chrs/row)
 - Terminal buffer

  My version seems to get stuck easily when using disk-operations, but
anyway this is a great software...

Ps. c64 + any drive (c128's 80chr-display isn't used (??))

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
 Pasi Ojala       Pasbox v2.6     Why does my signature keep changing??

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu - "ArchLich of Navarrone") (07/14/89)

In article <8391@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

>While VTERMITE claims to emulate vt100 in 80 cols. mode,  as recent as
>yesterday when I used it to connect with a VMS machine, the emulation
>failed the vt test sequence sent out by the VMS machine after logon.
>Did anybody have the same problem ? Or just I did something wrong.

Well, it seems that vtermite does not send the correct vt100 id sequence (or
doesn't send one at all.) It will also not support reverse, underline, etc.

Kermit is available at 128.214.5.6 for whoever is interested. (alng with two
versions of vtermite (9 and 12?) stored as 'vtermite' and 'wtermite".

brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) (07/14/89)

>Anyone knows of a good term program for the 64 that supports Ymodem? (bat)
>I know Ed Parry has brought it to the Commodore World, but he's not releasing
>the source to public domain. (The routines will be available in future
>EBBS 64, and I thnk they are already available in Ebbs 128)
>
>What about a good vt52 or 100 emulator that can do 2400?

 I have the source for ymodem for the 64...I can either send it directly to
you or post it to the net, if there are enough people interested.
 As for emulation and 2400, I haven't seen a mix yet. There was an article in
the Transactor a short while ago (1/2 issues ago) that had some c source for
accurate 2400 on the 64...also Chris Smeets said in Febrary that he had some
source that would do (theoretically) 4800, and mentioned that it could be
hyped up to 9600...since, if my memory serves me right, I remember either Geoff
or Matt talking about having gotten their 9600 from Smeets' source, that may
have come to fruition.

--
Brendan Kehoe
brendan@gryphon.com |  "Oh No! I forgot to say goodbye to my mind!"

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (07/14/89)

In article <17640@gryphon.COM>, brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

>  I have the source for ymodem for the 64...I can either send it directly to
> you or post it to the net, if there are enough people interested.
> --
> Brendan Kehoe
> brendan@gryphon.com |  "Oh No! I forgot to say goodbye to my mind!"
> Just for the summer |                                  - Abby Normal

Oh, please post it !!!

Patrick Wong
pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu
pwong@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
mo8j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (07/14/89)

In article <17640@gryphon.COM>, brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>  As for emulation and 2400, I haven't seen a mix yet. There was an article in
> the Transactor a short while ago (1/2 issues ago) that had some c source for
> accurate 2400 on the 64...also Chris Smeets said in Febrary that he had some
> source that would do (theoretically) 4800, and mentioned that it could be
> hyped up to 9600...since, if my memory serves me right, I remember either Geoff
> Brendan Kehoe
> brendan@gryphon.com |  "Oh No! I forgot to say goodbye to my mind!"
> Just for the summer |                                  - Abby Normal

There are programs that do 2400 on C64.  But I think the tricky
part is to find something that can do 2400 *AND*
has a 80 col. mode for C64 (a perfect vt emulator, that is)
at the same time !  Any comment ?

Patrick
pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu

DISCLAIMER: My opinions ? Or yours ?

aliu@nunki.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu - "ArchLich of Navarrone") (07/16/89)

> I have the source for ymodem for the 64...I can either send it directly to
>you or post it to the net, if there are enough people interested.

(Oops, I erased tthe name of the author who wrote this message, and I'm not
gonna do everything all over again. But whoever wrote about having the
source to Ymodem (c6), you know who you are!)

Anyway, I''d really appreciate it if you sent me a copy of the source of Ymodem
(ml, I assume?). There might be a lot of interest in you poosting it onn the
net, Don't know... But I'd REALLY, REALLY want to get my hands on it!

Thanx a lot!

As for 2400 on the 64, never had any problems with it. The problem usually is
with the 80-cols emulationn (software).... I got it to do 2400 on the 80 cols,
but when it comes to scrolling off the screen, it usually overflows the
rs-232 buffers, and you loose data. I heard of the 4800  ML for the 64 and
the 9600 baud ML for the 128, but never actually seen it...

carus@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (bryce.w.carus) (07/17/89)

In article <17640@gryphon.COM>, brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>  I have the source for ymodem for the 64...I can either send it directly to
> you or post it to the net, if there are enough people interested.

Post it!

This should be ideal for UNIX.

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (07/17/89)

In article <8403@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:
> In article <17640@gryphon.COM>, brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> >  As for emulation and 2400, I haven't seen a mix yet. There was an article in
> > the Transactor a short while ago (1/2 issues ago) that had some c source for
> > accurate 2400 on the 64...also Chris Smeets said in Febrary that he had some
> > source that would do (theoretically) 4800, and mentioned that it could be
> > hyped up to 9600...since, if my memory serves me right, I remember either Geoff
> > Brendan Kehoe
> > brendan@gryphon.com |  "Oh No! I forgot to say goodbye to my mind!"
> > Just for the summer |                                  - Abby Normal
>
> There are programs that do 2400 on C64.  But I think the tricky
> part is to find something that can do 2400 *AND*
> has a 80 col. mode for C64 (a perfect vt emulator, that is)
> at the same time !  Any comment ?
>

> Patrick
> pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu
>
> DISCLAIMER: My opinions ? Or yours ?

I think the latest version of Kermit will do this (but only on a
128?)....

Seriously, you can make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear, but not
a whole wardrobe.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (07/18/89)

In article <8403@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:
>In article <17640@gryphon.COM>, brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>> source that would do (theoretically) 4800, and mentioned that it could be
>> hyped up to 9600...since, if my memory serves me right, I remember either Geoff
>
>There are programs that do 2400 on C64.  But I think the tricky
>part is to find something that can do 2400 *AND*
>has a 80 col. mode for C64 (a perfect vt emulator, that is)
>at the same time !  Any comment ?

The maximun pratical speed for the C64 is(can?) only be 2400bd,
because most (if not all) operations in the C64 are tuned for that.
For example, when doint file transfers with any protocol, the computer
expends quite some time doing disk access.  Seems to me that the baud
rate of the Serial Disk Port is around 3000bd, so stepping up to
around 4800bd, in a file transfer, the speed improvement would be
around 40% instead of a 100%, that you would think.  The fact that the
C64 can't do file access while reading the modem is the reason for
this, and the reason why we cannot have a streamming protocol for the
C64.

Now, for a request.  I have been writing a very simple term program
(Just as an exercise) and I don't seem to be able to do 2400bd.  First
I got 300bd right.  then to do 1200bd, I had to change the
Non-Standard Bit timing register (661) and the Baud pre scaler value
at 665.  what I would want to know is do you only need to change this
values to do 2400bd (And what are this values supposed to be?) and if
not, what other things you need to do to get 2400bd?

                    acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu)
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

ejp@abvax.icd.ab.com (Ed Prochak) (07/20/89)

I would be interested in seeing ymodem posted.
Does it support the commodore 1660 modem?
(that's the one not supported by kermit-64)
				Thanks
				ed
--
Edward J. Prochak        (216)646-4663       I think.
{cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!abvax!ejp       I think I am.