[comp.sys.cbm] Commodore !1Meg/C64

doug@mrsvr.UUCP (Doug Curtis) (07/26/89)

Is there any truth to the rumor that a new commodore machine is on the horizon?
Spec.'s?
GE802 - 16 bit 4Mhz CPU, w/128k RAM (expandable to 1MByte), stereo sound,
built in 3-1/2" drive, 256 colors and resolution of 640 x 400 pixels.
Supports a 64 mode except it won't talk to the 1541 or 1571 drives.

Doug Curtis
GE Medical Systems
Sys Admin/ Computer Systems Eng
UUCP: sun!gemed!altair_4!doug

hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) (07/27/89)

	They need not drop 1541 compatabilty to achive really good proformance
from the internal drive.  The trick is to include a logical 1750 and 1581,
then have the drives memory as a DMA bank.  The cpu banks are the same as
DMA banks, but the REU chip is faster.  Or system cost could be kept down
by using just one cpu and no REU chip, but then the internal drive would
not be useable in C64 mode <sigh>.

	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu

steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) (07/27/89)

In article <841@mrsvr.UUCP> doug@.UUCP (Doug Curtis) writes:

>Is there any truth to the rumor that a new commodore machine is on the horizon?
>Spec.'s?
>GE802 - 16 bit 4Mhz CPU, w/128k RAM (expandable to 1MByte), stereo sound,
>built in 3-1/2" drive, 256 colors and resolution of 640 x 400 pixels.
>Supports a 64 mode except it won't talk to the 1541 or 1571 drives.

I am not a real expert on the coming of the new machines, but I
can report that the local BBS's (one of which I am the SysOp) have
mentioned the machine almost exactly the same as you have.  I
heard all of the above except for the last bit of the last line.
The ability to talk to the '41 and the '71 wasn't mentioned, but
is probable since they will want the machine to think fast on its
feet, not as slow as the '41 ever has.

Terry Steyaert   (alias, The Guard, SysOp The Software Pool, 25 Megs
                                          (313) 463-8777)

 steyaert@unix.secs.oakland.edu
steyaerttj@vms.secs.oakland.edu

sekora-jay@CS.YALE.EDU (Jay Sekora) (07/28/89)

why on earth aren't they making it talk to a 1541/1571?  since they
have to have CIAs anyway if their C64 mode is truly compatible (like
C64 mode on the 128), why don't they spend the extra 72/c per ma-
chine and put in a serial port?  at the very least, even if they don't
have C64 hardware, they could rewrite the OS to use a few lines of one
of the ports they have as a CBM serial bus, and sell an adaptor.  as
far as i know, there is very little C64 software out on 3.25" disks,
and compatibility with all your C64 stuff is a big selling point for
the C128.  if commodore is trying to get people to buy all-new serial
peripherals when they upgrade, and to get software houses to come out
with new versions of all their stuff, and then get people to BUY new
versions of all their software, i'm afraid they're going to discover
that's not how the industry works.  (of course, i could be wrong: look
at the immense sales volume of the C16 and +4, not to mention the
B128.)  if their C64 mode isn't going to be able to communicate with
C64 peripherals, and so isn't going to be able to read off-the-shelf
C64 software, then they might as well scratch the C64 mode and use the
ROM for something else, like maybe GEOS-in-ROM, or COMAL, or something.

other than that one problem (which, of course, may well not exist at
all--we're still just talking about a rumor), it sounds like an interes-
ting and worthwhile machine.  anybody heard rumors about what processor
they're using?  my guess is the 16-bit version of the 6502 (whose number
i forget).  anybody heard anything about price?  it sounds like it would
be cheaper to build than the 128, but they might want to price it above
the 128 anyway.

sorry if i started to ignite.

-j.

DISCLAIMER:  Everything I say is the|			sekora-jay@yale.UUCP
absolute and utter truth, but Yale  |		  {backbone}!yale!sekora-jay
doesn't necessarily know this.	    |		       sekjaya@yalevm.BITNET

steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) (07/29/89)

In article <67911@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sekora-jay@CS.YALE.EDU (Jay Sekora) writes:
>why on earth aren't they making it talk to a 1541/1571?
>at the very least, even if they don't
>have C64 hardware, they could rewrite the OS to use a few lines of one
>of the ports they have as a CBM serial bus, and sell an adaptor.  as
>far as i know, there is very little C64 software out on 3.25" disks,
>and compatibility with all your C64 stuff is a big selling point for
>the C128.

Admittedly this is all rumor, but I would GUESS (notice, guess, I
don't know for sure) that they would make a 5-1/4 inch disk that
would, like the '71 read their own format disks, or a '41/'71 disk
too.  I would also wonder if they would include their own CP/M
or IBM emulator also.

>other than that one problem (which, of course, may well not exist at
>all--we're still just talking about a rumor), it sounds like an interes-
>ting and worthwhile machine.  anybody heard rumors about what processor
>they're using?  my guess is the 16-bit version of the 6502 (whose number
>i forget).

I believe the chip is the 65c02, but I am not sure.  That was the rumor
of what it was called, in the Detroit area.

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (07/29/89)

In article <122@egrunix.UUCP> steyaert@unix.secs.oakland.edu.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) writes:
>In article <67911@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sekora-jay@CS.YALE.EDU (Jay Sekora) writes:
>>other than that one problem (which, of course, may well not exist at
>>all--we're still just talking about a rumor), it sounds like an interes-
>>ting and worthwhile machine.  anybody heard rumors about what processor
>>they're using?  my guess is the 16-bit version of the 6502 (whose number
>>i forget).
>
>I believe the chip is the 65c02, but I am not sure.  That was the rumor
>of what it was called, in the Detroit area.
>
>Terry Steyaert   (alias, The Guard, SysOp The Software Pool  25 Megs
>                                          (313) 463-8777)
>
>      steyaert@unix.secs.oakland.edu

The 16-bit version is called the 65816.  It's the chip used in the Apple ][GS,
and I always wondered why Commodore didn't use it in some fancy computer.  It's
about time.

By the way, the 65C02 is the CMOS version of the 6502.  It's an 8-bit chip,
but since it's CMOS, it uses less power than regular chips, making it good
for computers that run on battery packs.  (Does Apple use it in the ][c?  I
can't remember...)

- Mike
--

hiebert@mdivax1.uucp (Graeme Hiebert) (07/31/89)

In article <6247@rpi.edu> mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) writes:
> By the way, the 65C02 is the CMOS version of the 6502.  It's an 8-bit chip,
> but since it's CMOS, it uses less power than regular chips, making it good
> for computers that run on battery packs.  (Does Apple use it in the ][c?  I
> can't remember...)

You betcha.

   -g
--
"I didn't sleep well last night.  This girl kept knocking on my hotel room
door.  After awhile, I had to get up and let her out."