[comp.sys.cbm] Got them 1581 blues...

kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) (07/26/89)

	I need a little info from the people who know:
	Under what conditions will authorized Commodore service centers
replace the controller chip in the 1581 drive?  I posted my dilemna about
3 months ago, and from the responses that I received, I was under the
impression that this service would be done free whether the drive is in or
out of warranty.  (In the original article, I stated that my drive was
indeed out of the 90 day warranty period.  Hence said impression.)
	The service center where my drive now resides in limbo wants
$46 for the cost of the chip plus $55 for labor (chip replacement and drive
head realignment).  If Commodore doesn't replace the chips for free on out
of warranty drives, are these prices good?  I've had my 1541 for about 5
years with absolutely NO problems, so I don't know how much these things cost.
I would hate to think that I will have to pay $100 to repair a drive that I've
only had for 9 months and for which I paid $200!
	Any and all help will be/is appreciated!

Thanx in advance,

K W Smith, Jr.

|   "But it's only a toilet seat!"                       |
|   "Oh, no.  It is much more.  It is a means            |
|    to summon us!"                                      |
|                   -Quotes from Clive Barker's little   |
|                    known film: "LIDRAISER"             |

scott@max.acs.washington.edu (07/27/89)

In article <601@galen.acc.virginia.edu>, kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) writes:
>       I need a little info from the people who know:
>       The service center where my (1581) drive now resides in limbo wants
> $46 for the cost of the chip plus $55 for labor (chip replacement and drive
> head realignment).  If Commodore doesn't replace the chips for free on out
> of warranty drives, are these prices good?  I've had my 1541 for about 5
> years with absolutely NO problems, so I don't know how much these things cost.
> I would hate to think that I will have to pay $100 to repair a drive that I've
> only had for 9 months and for which I paid $200!
>       Any and all help will be/is appreciated!
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> K W Smith, Jr.

I don't know anything about the 1581 drive, but there is a
commodore repair center in my area that is known for honesty, fairness
and friendly people. They also sell refurbished 1581 drives. May be
you could call them up and ask them for some advice about
the 1581 and the fair cost for repairing it.
The repair center name is Tech Star and their telephone number
is (206)251-9040

You could also look up in the yellow pages and find other repair
centers in your area and compare prices.

Scott K. Stephen

givler@cbmvax.UUCP (Greg Givler - Customer Support) (08/01/89)

In article <601@galen.acc.virginia.edu> kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) writes:

>	I need a little info from the people who know:
>	The service center where my drive now resides in limbo wants
>$46 for the cost of the chip plus $55 for labor (chip replacement and drive
>head realignment).  If Commodore doesn't replace the chips for free on out
>of warranty drives, are these prices good?  I've had my 1541 for about 5
>years with absolutely NO problems, so I don't know how much these things cost.
>I would hate to think that I will have to pay $100 to repair a drive that I've
>only had for 9 months and for which I paid $200!
>	Any and all help will be/is appreciated!
>
>Thanx in advance,
>
>K W Smith, Jr.

According to what I have been told, the chip and the replacement of it is free.
You should have your service center contact Halsey Beach at Commodore, he
is the gentleman that writes up the tech topics that the service centers get
and are supposed to read. You can lead a horse to water...?

If you have any problems E-mail me and I will see what I can find out for,
please include the name of the service center and your full name too.

Greg
Greg Givler                        Q-Link: Commodore
Telecommunications Coordinator     CompuServe: CBM/Support 76703,2047
Commodore Customer Support         INTERNET: givler@cbmvax.uucp
215-436-4200 (Support Line)        OR :::::: givler@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
"Life is pain, Highness, anyone who says differently is selling something"
 - The Dread Pirate Roberts -- The Princess Bride