[comp.sys.cbm] One Monitor, 2 6computers.

steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) (08/05/89)

I run a BBS called The Software Pool off my first Commodore 64
that I ever had ('82 sounds about right.)  Since then, I have
gotten a 1902A monitor, and a Commodore 128.  Currently, I have
the 40 column monitor plugged into the 64, and the 80 in the
128.  The problem is, if I want to run a 64 program on the 128,
or just view the 128 in 40 columns, I must unplug the cord from the
64 and transfer it to the 128.  This is causing wear-and-tear
on the cord and, I am sorry to say, my 40 column monitor ports.

Does someone know of a simple (and preferably inexpensive) to
buy or make a box to switch between the two computers?  After
visiting Radio Shack, they suggest getting another Monitor cable,
buying 2 boxes ($30 bucks apeice) of RCA Din plug switching.
(Need two because each box will switch 2 RCA cables and the monitor
has 3 RCA plugs.

Please help.  The RCA method doesn't seem cost efficient, and
bulky, basically growdy looking.  The local computer shops look
at me like I am a weirdo.

Thanks in advance.

Terry Steyaert        steyaert@unix.secs.oakland.edu

P.S. Mail prefered, but replys on the net are OK also.

scott@max.acs.washington.edu (08/09/89)

In article <128@egrunix.UUCP>, steyaert@egrunix.UUCP (Terry Steyaert) writes:
> I run a BBS called The Software Pool off my first Commodore 64
> that I ever had ('82 sounds about right.)  Since then, I have
> gotten a 1902A monitor, and a Commodore 128.  Currently, I have
> the 40 column monitor plugged into the 64, and the 80 in the
> 128.  The problem is, if I want to run a 64 program on the 128,
> or just view the 128 in 40 columns, I must unplug the cord from the
> 64 and transfer it to the 128.  This is causing wear-and-tear
> on the cord and, I am sorry to say, my 40 column monitor ports.
>
> Does someone know of a simple (and preferably inexpensive) to
> buy or make a box to switch between the two computers?  After
> visiting Radio Shack, they suggest getting another Monitor cable,
> buying 2 boxes ($30 bucks apeice) of RCA Din plug switching.
> (Need two because each box will switch 2 RCA cables and the monitor
> has 3 RCA plugs.
>
> Please help.  The RCA method doesn't seem cost efficient, and
> bulky, basically growdy looking.  The local computer shops look
> at me like I am a weirdo.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Terry Steyaert        steyaert@unix.secs.oakland.edu
>
> P.S. Mail prefered, but replys on the net are OK also.

Instead of focusing the attention in the RCA Din plugs that
connects to the computer, how about looking the other end that
connects to the monitor, which are phone plug/jack type.
You can buy phone extension cords and gender changers (plug to
jack, and jack to plug) which you can connected to the
monitors. Now with the right combination of cords and
geneder changer, you will only need to change the phone cords
coming from the computer to the right phone cords coming from
the monitors. Although this solution doesn't solve the manual
changing of the monitor, it will solve your problem of wear and
tear in the DIN plugs. And this method will be a lot cheaper.
You can buy the phone extension cords and gender changer in
any music equipment or convenient store and radio shark. But
shop around for best price.

Moreover, if you're handy with your hands, it will be easier
and cheaper to build a phone cord switch box than a DIN plug
switch box.

Well, I hope this helps..

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen