[comp.sys.cbm] Changing text clarity on a c-64

ncperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) (08/10/89)

My church is using a 64 literally as a bulliten board system.  They display
annoncements on several tv screens around the church.  Many people have
complained that they cannot read the text on the tvs.  Since I was the one
who helped set the system up they have asked me for a solution. I knew from
the beginning that using standard televison sets would be a mistake.  The
problem is that we are almost forced to use them because I cant justify
spending the money on bigger RGB monitors - if, indeed, there even exists a
monitor which is big enough.

The problem is that I need to somehow increase the text clarity without
changing monitors. I understand that they have tried different
background/foreground colors.  Is there a way to increase the size of the
text and increae the readability of the screens?

Thanks in advance
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

aliu@castor.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (08/10/89)

In article <1989Aug10.072328.5711@plains.NoDak.edu> ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brett G. Person) writes:

>Is there a way to increase the size of the
>text and increae the readability of the screens?

It certainly is possible to use larger text on the 64 with relative ease.

Compute's Gazette once had a little program that let you use double-width text
on the 64. Not sure what issue, tho.

In case you want to write your own routine, it would go like this:

Duble width text:

Define the normal A letter as the right half of 'A' letter, and the REVERSED
A letter as the left half of the A.. So, when you would be using the new font,
to type a double-width A, you'd type  A+RVS[A]...

When you choose to use either double height or double width, you loose the
"reversed" text option. When you choose to use double height/double width,
you have to give-up something else, such as maybe lower-case letters.

2x2 s the most you can do with a regular font. By using raster interrupt, you
can use larger fonts, but that gets tricky.

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (08/12/89)

]
[...]

A MUCH better approach might be to purchase a Commodore VIC-20.  I
have seen VIC-20's used in this type of application, and the 22*24
(versus 40*25) screen is very clear.  You should be able to get a VIC
for next to nothing.

I even saw a package that did basic functions of this type.  It
consisted of an editor program and an execution program.  It could run
on an unexpanded VIC with 1540(1541) or an expanded VIC, out of
memory.  It simply sat and displayed page after page of data,
including color and a few special attributes (flash!)... I seem to
recall it may have had double height characters as well, but don't
quote me.

I would think that it would be relatively easy to duplicate the basics
on a VIC-20 and 1541, even if you know only simple programming.

						...Joe
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) (08/12/89)

I don't know how you can do it with a 64 (although I know it can be done), but
I have seen the VIC-20 set up to do a similar job at a school.  The text on
the screen is much larger (I think it's about 23 characters per line, but I'm
not sure about how many lines per screen).  This would appear to be an
inexpensive alternative.  The school is the Technology Learning Campus, and
the address is:
    Technology Learning Campus
    4139 Regent Ave. N.
    Robbinsdale, MN  55422

    Telephone (612)535-1790 (Ask for the Technology Learning Campus, as the
building houses other facilities as well)

   One other contact in the district would be the Computer/Math/Science
Coordinator, William Heck.  He can be reached at:

    Administration Building
    Attn:  Bill Heck
    4148 Winnetka Ave. N
    New Hope, MN  55427

    Telephone (612)533-2781, Ask for Bill Heck.  The extension has changed
since I worked there.

   Your best bet is the TLC, as I'm not  sure that Mr. Heck has dealt with the
setup that they use.

   Hope this helps.

   Jim Henderson, joe@pnet51.cts.com
  "Don't ask me how it works or I'll start to whimper."  - Arthur Dent
  DISCLAIMER:  "I speak for myself, and only for myself."  (Except where noted.)