[comp.sys.cbm] help with modem

mullen@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (John Mullen) (08/20/89)

    I hope someone can help me.  My girlfriend just bought a C64 (used) and
with it she received a 300 baud (Ughh!!) modem.  She was able to dial in and
such, but can't run any programs which require a terminal type.  My guess is
that she needs kermit.  I don't know much about kermit.  How/where would I
get it, and how do you use it.  Also, if it matters, she is using a small
black -n- white tv as a terminal.  Thanks for any help!!!

.signature ?????
John J. Mullen                                   mullen@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Part-Time Operator, Computer Science
Office: WeH 3610

bas@wuibc.UUCP (Barry Siegfried) (08/21/89)

In article <5912@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, mullen@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (John Mullen) writes:

>     I hope someone can help me.  My girlfriend just bought a C64 (used) and
> with it she received a 300 baud (Ughh!!) modem.  She was able to dial in and
> such, but can't run any programs which require a terminal type.  My guess is
> that she needs kermit.  I don't know much about kermit.  How/where would I
> get it, and how do you use it.  Also, if it matters, she is using a small
> black -n- white tv as a terminal.  Thanks for any help!!!

This posting should answer the question:

[beginning of posting]
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Subject: Re: Kermit 2.2
Date: 3 Aug 89 13:55:52 GMT
. . .
The following info. was given to me by Ray quite a while back:

The executable (and also the docs.) can be obtained by
doing FTP to log on the machine MAXWELL.PHYSICS.PURDUE.EDU
as ANONYMOUS and go the dir pub/c64kermit.

Happy KERMITING !!!

Patrick
[end of posting]

80-column output from Kermit is readable on my monochrome monitor.  I doubt that

it would be readable on a TV set, but I haven't tried it.

Barry Siegfried (bas@wuibc.wustl.edu)

aliu@sal-sun10.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (08/22/89)

In article <367@wuibc.UUCP> bas@wuibc.UUCP (Barry Siegfried) writes:

>80-column output from Kermit is readable on my monochrome monitor.  I doubt
>that it would be readable on a TV set, but I haven't tried it.

I found that it differs from Tv-set to TV-set. I am using right now kermit with
a 13" (or maybe 12") TV set, B&w... I can see the text pretty well, use Emacs
and all that stuff... Maybe my TV-set is out-of-the-ordinary. It is not a big
name brand, it is a Portland. (I use a light-grey screen and black text).

By the way, how good is the Tek emulation in kermit 2.2? Would it be
compatible to the unix "plot" command?