[comp.sys.cbm] 80 Columns on a 64?

jtl@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joe Lynn) (08/22/89)

I have a C-64 that I'd like to run in an 80-column mode.  I'd like to
login to my work system from home and use things like vi, so I'll
need 80 columns as well as a telecom program that can emulate 'normal'
terminals.  I have a couple of programs that change the display to half-width
characters, but the screen is so blurry it's not even worth the trouble.
(I'm using a Sakata composite color monitor, and a friend of mine has an 1802
monitor with the separate chroma/luma inputs and it actually looks okay.)

So, what I'm looking for are suggestions for the following:  a way to have
80 columns and 'normal' (UNIX-recognizable) terminal emulation, and while
we're at it, a recommendation for a 1200 baud modem.  I'm beginning to
feel as though I may have to make the transition from CBM to MS/DOS if
this problem can't be solved, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

					--Joe Lynn

scott@max.acs.washington.edu (08/22/89)

In article <1363@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, jtl@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joe Lynn) writes:
> I have a C-64 that I'd like to run in an 80-column mode.  I'd like to
> login to my work system from home and use things like vi, so I'll
> need 80 columns as well as a telecom program that can emulate 'normal'
> terminals.  I have a couple of programs that change the display to half-width
> characters, but the screen is so blurry it's not even worth the trouble.
> (I'm using a Sakata composite color monitor, and a friend of mine has an 1802
> monitor with the separate chroma/luma inputs and it actually looks okay.)
>
> So, what I'm looking for are suggestions for the following:  a way to have
> 80 columns and 'normal' (UNIX-recognizable) terminal emulation, and while
> we're at it, a recommendation for a 1200 baud modem.  I'm beginning to
> feel as though I may have to make the transition from CBM to MS/DOS if
> this problem can't be solved, so any suggestions will be appreciated!
>
>                                       --Joe Lynn

Probably your composite color monitor is only 40 columns, that is why the
80 columns characters (half the normal width) appears blurred and hard
to read on the screen. However with a 80 columns monitor (I have a
80 columns composite monochrome monitor) the 80 columns characters are
very clear and very legible.

The terminal that you want to look into is Kermit (2.2 is the latest
released version) for 80 columns screen display and terminal emulation.

For modems, I suggest Aprotek's MINIMODEM-C, a C64 direct-connect modem.
It can fully emulate the 1670 modem (a very popular modem for the
C64), moreover, it also offers 100% Hayes comparability. This allows
the MiNIMODEM-C to be used with all communications software for
the C64. Other features include 7 status indicators, Busy Detect,
DTR signal support, High Speed Detect Line, and Auto Answer/Auto Dial.
The above information was gotten from an ad for this modem. I read
in Compute Magazine a review of this modem, and the author said
it had everything he wanted in a modem. He gave the modem he highest
recommendation.

Another good modem is the 1670, of course.

These modems can be bought from number of mail order companies for $59.95.
One such mail order company is TENEX: Computer Express, P.O.Box 6578,
South Bend, IN 46660-6578, (219)259-7051. For other mail order
companies, look in C64 magazines. You can also buy them in shopping
centers like Fred Meyer or BEST (if they exist in your city).

By the way, this message was typed using the C64, Kermit 2.1, and the 1670.