[comp.sys.cbm] C-64 at 2400 bps

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) (08/27/89)

In article <1405@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, jtl@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joe Lynn) writes:
> In article <7491@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:
> >But what the heck--buy a 2400 bps modem!
>
> I was under the impression that a C-64 won't *do* 2400 bps...  anyone
> have any further info?
>
> 			--Joe Lynn

Some folks claim that the built-in serial routines in the C-64 will manage
2400 bps.  The programs they point to do seem to work at 2400 bps--but only
in 40 columns, which is not very useful for mainframe <--> micro
communication.  Kermit does not currently support 2400 bps in C-64 mode,
but Ray has been threatening to add support.  ;-)  However, to do this he
says he will need to rewrite the serial routines.

The Transactor published an article awhile back about hacking the serial
routines to squeeze out 2400 bps if you would like more detailed info...

Geoffrey Welsh has written some high-speed routines for the C-128 that will
allow 4800 full duplex and 9600 half duplex communication.  These routines
are incorporated into Matt Desmond's Desterm, a shareware terminal program
which should just about be ready for a new release.  Geoff, can you confirm?

The newest release of VT-100/128 (v2.1) also supports 2400 and 4800 bps.  This
is the program found on the 1670 modem software disk.  The new version is
available on Q-Link and probably elsewhere.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are not necessarily those of my
employer.