[comp.sys.cbm] C64 at 2400 bps, 128at96

doug.purdy@canremote.uucp (DOUG PURDY) (08/31/89)

In article 1197?  kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:

> In article <1405@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, jtl@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joe
> Lynn) writes:
> In article <7491@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent
> Sullivan) writes:
> Geoffrey Welsh has written some high-speed routines for the C-128 that
> will allow 4800 full duplex and 9600 half duplex communication.  These
> routines are incorporated into Matt Desmond's Desterm, a shareware
> terminal program which should just about be ready for a new release.
> Geoff, can you confirm?

Half duplex? Is that how he did it? Anyway DesTerm 1.01 works fine (I
thought at full duplex - no double characters) via null modem to my 4.77
mhz XT clone bbs at 9600. No errors at all, even with 40 foot of cable
in 3 sections and a null modem adapter. (Some folks here in comp.sys.cbm
reported errors but wouldn't that mean they would also get errors
connecting to their host with an XT?)

DesTerm 1.02 is out but I haven't had a chance to unarc it with heavy
summer duties. ;-) It does look good - now claims to support C64 colour
graphics too - and may be a great choice for an all round C128 term.

Only thing that Dialogue has over it now as far as I know is the script
language but Geoff and Matt are planning to add one to DesTerm if they
get enough support from this release.

The original VT100 worked at my school but now they claim much improved
VT102 emulation. Sounds great and as soon as I unarc DesTerm 1.02 I'll
be registering my copy.

Though as a script fanatic, I may just get Dialogue too, but first I'll
have to unarc the freeware Dialogue demo and put it through it's paces
to see if it works at 9600, no errors. On the C128, 9600 isn't unusual,
but 9600, NO ERRORS, I've only seen in DesTerm.

There are folks in Toronto using C64s with 2400 bps modems but I don't
know what terminals they're using or what their error rates are.

Doug Purdy - sysop of easy-to-get-on Learning Experience (416) 665-3263
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R