[comp.sys.cbm] WORD PROCESSOR/EDITOR/FILE MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS FOR C64

rbyrd@cbnewse.ATT.COM (ronald.s.byrd) (08/29/89)

My son just got a printer for his C64 and we are now trying to
figure out which software package(s) would be appropriate to
get him started printing.

His primary interest would be in something that would allow
him to do fairly simple file creation and editing, report
generation, editing and printing (for school) and possibly
some graphics (for banners, cards, invitations, etc.). I
would be most appreciative to anyone who has used any of
the currently available software packages for giving me
their opinions (both pro and con) before we buy something.
What would be ideal would be to find a good starter package
that would allow my son to do most of what he wants with
minimal time to learn how to use it.

So, if you have any suggestions, advice, comments, etc.,
please post a reply. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes
the time to respond.

Ron Byrd
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Il.
rsbrd!ihlpy

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/04/89)

In article <788@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, rbyrd@cbnewse.ATT.COM (ronald.s.byrd) writes:
> My son just got a printer for his C64 and we are now trying to
> figure out which software package(s) would be appropriate to
> get him started printing.
>
> His primary interest would be in something that would allow
> him to do fairly simple file creation and editing, report
> generation, editing and printing (for school) and possibly
> some graphics (for banners, cards, invitations, etc.). I
> would be most appreciative to anyone who has used any of
> the currently available software packages for giving me
> their opinions (both pro and con) before we buy something.
> What would be ideal would be to find a good starter package
> that would allow my son to do most of what he wants with
> minimal time to learn how to use it.
>
> So, if you have any suggestions, advice, comments, etc.,
> please post a reply. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes
> the time to respond.
>
> Ron Byrd
> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> Naperville, Il.
> rsbrd!ihlpy

For producing text intermixed with graphics, a good package will
be GEOS 2.0 for the C64. This package comes with a grahics
environment operation system (hence GEOS) that replaces (software wise)
the ROM based operating system inside the computer giving the C64
a feel much like a Machintosh. The GEOS 2.0 package also comes with
several application run under GEOS:

      geoWrite 2.1: is a good      word-processor. One attractive feature
                    of geoWrite wordprocessors is that you can select/mix
                    different fonts (gothic, roman, greek, university,
                    cory, etc...hundreds), size (7 pts, 9 pts, 24 pts, etc),
                    and style (outline, bold, underline, subscript, etc)
                    in your text. And also geoWrite allows you to insert
                    pictures (drawn with geoPaint) along the text.

      TextGrabber: is a application program that converts text files created
                   by other popular wordprocessors (like PaperClip,
                   FleetSystem, SpeedScript, etc) to geoWrite-usable
                   format.

      geoMerge: is a mail merge program that allows you to create
                customized form letters and labels

      geoSpell: is a program that checks the spelling of text file
                created with geoWrite. Also you can create your own
                customize dictionary.

      geoPaint: is a high resolution graphics editor that allow you to
                draw pictures, diagrams, etc

All the above mention items comes with the GEOS 2.0 package which cost
around $40 and can be bought in many convenient stores like Fred Meyer
and Best (if they exist in your area) or you can buy them through
many of the mail order companies.

Other application program for GEOS sold seperately are:

      geoPublishing: for producing newspapers and brochures. It allows you
                     to better integrate text and graphics for work that
                     require text and graph convination. geoPublising is
                     a full-feature desktop publising. (around $40)

      geoChart: easily create pie, unibar, area, point, line, column, bar,
                scatter point, and scatter line types of chart. (around $20)

      geoCalc: is a spreadsheet.

      Write64: a more full-feature wordprocessor than geoWrite. (around $30)

And there are many more others............

Other wordprocessors (not related in anyway with GEOS) are:

      Bank Street Write ($40)
      Word Writer 4 ($30)
      Fleet System 2+ ($35)
      PaperClip III ($40)
      and other.....

These are full-feature wordprocessor with WYSIWYG, outlining, etc.
Some of the above word processors come with dictionary/thesaurus/database,
spell checking, password protection, RAM disk support (if you have one),
telecomunication, window driven, tutorial program, etc...

Since you/your-son are beginner user, the wordprocessor I would recommend
is SpeedScript. This processor is somewhat simple but more than powerful
enough for beginners and the price is more attractive than the others, $9.
With $9, you not only get the SpeedScript wordprocessor but multitude
of small application programs that adds new features to SpeedScript like
spell checking, output preview, word count, etc... To order this
wordprocessor, you need to buy the Octorber 1989 issue of Compute! Gazette
(just out) available in many magazine stands, book stores, and retail
stores. In that issue of the magazine there is an ordering form/coupon
to order the SpeedScript. This wordprocessor is sold by this magazine.

For other graphic programs (nott related in anyway with GEOS) are:

      Printe Shop ($30): make greeting cards, stationery, banners, etc
      Certificate Maker ($20): make over 200 awards and certificates
      The Newsroom ($20) make your own newspaper.
      PaperClip Publisher ($40): desktop publiching.
      Doodle ($30): make drawing
      FlexiDraw v5.5 ($25): make drawing (very powerful), can be used with a
                            light pen sold seperately ($40)
      OCP advance graphics: make drawings
      and others...

All the prices mentioned above are estimates, so actual price may
vary depending where and how you buy the software.
The mention softwares are in no ways the only softwares available,
rather there are many more, too many to mention them all.
If you would like to find out about more softwares for the C64, it
would be a good idea to visit a store that sells C64 software and
look around. And also you can write to many of the mail order
companies (see Commodore magazines for their addresses) and write them asking
for their catalog; in there you will see descriptions of many more softwares
available for the C64.

I hope this was of help...

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen