[comp.sys.cbm] Aprotek Minimodem C

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) (08/25/89)

> For modems, I suggest Aprotek's MINIMODEM-C, a C64 direct-connect modem.
> It can fully emulate the 1670 modem (a very popular modem for the
> C64), moreover, it also offers 100% Hayes comparability. This allows
> the MiNIMODEM-C to be used with all communications software for
> the C64. Other features include 7 status indicators, Busy Detect,
> DTR signal support, High Speed Detect Line, and Auto Answer/Auto Dial.
> The above information was gotten from an ad for this modem. I read
> in Compute Magazine a review of this modem, and the author said
> it had everything he wanted in a modem. He gave the modem he highest
> recommendation.

Another perspective on the Minimodem C: it definitely does have a lot of
features, but I am unsure about its reliability.  I used one for about a
day some months ago.  It is extremely small and comes in a cheap-looking
(and feeling) soft plastic case that opens (Really!  You can peer right into
the internals of the modem).

The modem operated fine... I just don't think that I would buy it because
it doesn't look like quality stuff.  The 1670 is much more rugged and is
nearly the same price these days.  But what the heck--buy a 2400 bps modem!
They are really cheap these days too (compared to a year ago).

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed above are all mine, however silly they may be.

jtl@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joe Lynn) (08/25/89)

In article <7491@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:
>But what the heck--buy a 2400 bps modem!

I was under the impression that a C-64 won't *do* 2400 bps...  anyone
have any further info?

			--Joe Lynn

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (08/29/89)

In article <1405@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> jtl@jolnet.orpk.il.us (Joe Lynn) writes:
>In article <7491@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:
>>But what the heck--buy a 2400 bps modem!
>
>I was under the impression that a C-64 won't *do* 2400 bps...  anyone
>have any further info?
>
>			--Joe Lynn

I have been using a Hayes compatible RS-232 modem at 2400 bps on my
C64 via the Aprotek modem converter without any problem.  The software
I am using is the CCGMS 7.0.  With this configuration, Up/Downloading
works like a charm !

Patrick (pcw@squid.tn.cornell.edu)

harsha.godavari@canremote.uucp (HARSHA GODAVARI) (08/31/89)

Here in Winnipeg we have a BBS running at 2400 baud on a C-64 .
The Land BBS (204) 338-3423, 24 hrs and is a fairly serious
board. It is supported by two disk drives, a 1541 & 1571. The
modem was obtained from Computers Direct (see Computer Shopper)
The bbs program is called Dark Star(?) and the sysop is  very
familiar with the workings of the C-64 and did the necessary
tweaking of the software. Hope that encourages you.

 * QNet 1.03a2: Pokey's Place Winnipeg, MB (204) 253-1342 (HST) <<SmartNet>>

hugibaz@floenz2.UUCP (Ingo Kraupa) (09/03/89)

In article <1405@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> jtl@jolnet.orpk.il.us (Joe Lynn) writes:
>In article <7491@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:
>>But what the heck--buy a 2400 bps modem!
>
>I was under the impression that a C-64 won't *do* 2400 bps...  anyone
>have any further info?
>
>			--Joe Lynn

The C-64 does not support higher baud rates than 2400 bps, if you are using
the internal RS232 routines. The system will even slow down, if you do only
1200 bps. The internal software has to generate each bit of a byte, start-
stopbit and the parity. This is a hard job.
So, two years ago, a friend of mine thought about a solution of this problem.
He created a cartridge using a 6551 ACIA interface chip. With this chip the
C64 is able to speed up to 19200 bps. The costs are about 30$.
The problem is, there is no public domain software out, supporting this
cartridge (for the C64). There _is_ software for the C128.
Please ask me, if you are interested.

Ingo

bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) (09/04/89)

In article <2975@floenz2.UUCP>, hugibaz@floenz2.UUCP (Ingo Kraupa) writes:
> So, two years ago, a friend of mine thought about a solution of this problem.
> He created a cartridge using a 6551 ACIA interface chip. With this chip the
> C64 is able to speed up to 19200 bps. The costs are about 30$.

I recently built a similar thing, but mine is less than $15 in parts. Or
do you mean he's selling the full built and tested models at $30? I've got
PostScript version of the schematics for mine if anyone's interested.

> The problem is, there is no public domain software out, supporting this
> cartridge (for the C64). There _is_ software for the C128.
> Please ask me, if you are interested.

I'm very interested in the software for the C128 if it's compatible with
my board. More info, please. I built mine specifically for a TCP package
I'm working on, but I would love to use it for normal work. Actually, I'd
love to have kermit run with it!

Anyway, the 6551 is definitely the way to go. It takes all the overhead
off the 64 and really lets IO fly! Too bad it wasn't built in in the first
place...  8-(

Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)		FAX:	   (716) 636-3464
University at Buffalo		BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET
				Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (09/06/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <9690@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) wrote:
>I recently built a similar thing, but mine is less than $15 in parts. Or
>do you mean he's selling the full built and tested models at $30? I've got
>PostScript version of the schematics for mine if anyone's interested.

PostScript?  Not sure if I can do anything with PostScript.... but
please send it anyways.  :-)

>I'm very interested in the software for the C128 if it's compatible with
>my board. More info, please. I built mine specifically for a TCP package
>I'm working on, but I would love to use it for normal work. Actually, I'd
>love to have kermit run with it!
>
>Anyway, the 6551 is definitely the way to go. It takes all the overhead
>off the 64 and really lets IO fly! Too bad it wasn't built in in the first
>place...  8-(

Do you have driver software?  I'm looking for examples of how to
configure, read and write bytes....
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) (09/06/89)

In article <4126@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>, jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
> PostScript?  Not sure if I can do anything with PostScript.... but
> please send it anyways.  :-)

I've gotten a lot of requests through mail, so I'm posting it. This works
on my C128, but has not been tested on a C64. I've been told by a cbm
person (who reads this list, but I don't remember his name) that it may
not work on a C64 due to differences in the DOT clock phase. A friend of
mine is working on testing that now. So I don't guarentee this curcuit
to work on all machines (just mine 8-). If you're willing to help debug
it for your machine, let me know and I'll explain what the problems would
be. I'm interested in making it general enough for all 64's and 128's (but
I can't afford to buy all 64's and 128's to test it on!). I will most likely
be posting another version in a few weeks that takes care of these problems
so if you're not the type to debug, you might just want to wait.

This circuit maps the UART into the IO area at $de00. The 6551 has four
registers. These are mapped to $de00 through $de03. I don't have the chip
specs handy (you can get them when you order the chips, though), so I
really don't remember the specifics, but they are something like:

	$de00	Trans/recv register. Any incoming data from the modem is
		put in the register. Likewise, outgoing data to the modem
		is put here.

	$de01	Status register. The bits here tell things like if the
		chip has data for you or if it's ready to accept data, etc.

	$de02	Control register. Sets parity, word length, etc.

	$de03	Command register. Controls when interrupts are generated
		and a few other things.

The chip specs have all the info you need to write a driver. It's really
pretty easy. When you initialize, just set the parity, baud and stuff. Then
turn on the interrupts and you're ready to go. The board will then generate
an IRQ when it needs attention. Read $de01 to find out why it needs your
attention, process the data and return from interrupt.

> Do you have driver software?  I'm looking for examples of how to
> configure, read and write bytes....

I had a general one that read data into a queue and then served it to the
users program. It ran under C Power as a function. I accidently erased the
disk, though. It was only about 50 lines or so. If someone wants to get
it built into a terminal program, I'd be willing to help write the driver.

Devon