[comp.sys.cbm] 8563 needs an RGBI monitor? Nope!

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/08/89)

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:  The following entry should be credited to PAUL FORGEY of
                  "Library BBS", (206)562-2447, Seattle, WA, USA

In article <POSTNEWS1714@NADC.ARPA>, prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
> A recent message suggesting adding an 8563 chip said that "unfortunately, the
> 8563 needs an RGBI monitor". In this case, "needs" is a relative term. With
> a few transistors and a handful of resistors, the R, G, B, I, HSYNC, and VSYNC
> signals can be combined into a nice monochrome composite video signal with 16
> grey levels. Or they can be combined into a 3 grey level monochrome signal as
> done inside the C128. In either case, it will drive a cheap $50. green or
> amber monitor with no problem, and text will look better than it would on an
> RGBI monitor.  Don't forget that the 8563 needs (in this case, really "needs")
> at least 16K of video memory (2 4416 RAM chips) connected externally.
> Sincerely,
> Frank Prindle
> Prindle@NADC.arpa

MSG#:43571 *Commodore*  ---> Library BBS, (206)562-2447, Seattle, WA, USA
09/06/89 21:59:25
From: PAUL FORGEY
Subj: REPLY TO MSG# 43490 (787: 8563 NEED AN RGBI MONITOR?)

I am using right now with no problems the VIDEO signal from the pin DIRECTLY to
the compisite video input on the monitor. This is done with a Radio Shack plug
thing and a cable.