[comp.sys.cbm] WHY no COMP.BINARIES.CBM ?????

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/08/89)

How come there isn't a newsgroup called "comp.binaries.cbm"???

I know that this question has been asked before, but I didn't see
any reasonable answer to the question?

If insufficent activity in the "comp.binaries.cbm" is the answer,
then well....I just checked the binaries for IBM, Apple2, and others,
and I am sure that a CBM binaries would be far more active
then all of them except for Mac. IBM and Amiga binaries had
zero messages and others close to it.

With all do respect, I think in all fairness, CBM do deserve its own
binaries newsgroup. I believe such newsgroup will prove invaluable
to CBM users.

At least give it a test run...  :)

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) (09/09/89)

In article <6597@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> How come there isn't a newsgroup called "comp.binaries.cbm"???
>
> I know that this question has been asked before, but I didn't see
> any reasonable answer to the question?

Simply because it didn't have enough support to be voted in. The way the
system is set up there doesn't have to be a reason to not have it, but
rather there has to be enough support to have it.

Devon

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/09/89)

In article <9947@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) writes:
> In article <6597@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>> How come there isn't a newsgroup called "comp.binaries.cbm"???
>>
>> I know that this question has been asked before, but I didn't see
>> any reasonable answer to the question?
>
> Simply because it didn't have enough support to be voted in. The way the
> system is set up there doesn't have to be a reason to not have it, but
> rather there has to be enough support to have it.
>
> Devon

From where those that support must come from? Do we have any input in
that support?

Scott.

bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) (09/10/89)

In article <6643@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> From where those that support must come from? Do we have any input in
> that support?

To get an "official" backbone group created you must first post to news.groups
explaining that you would like a new group, why the new group is needed, what
the group will be used for and what you'd like to call it. You then open the
issue for discussion. After about a month of letting all the readers there
scream at you about how the name is bad and how the group isn't needed, you
post a formal proposal which is a modification of your original post with any
new ideas that have been suggested during the month of discussion. Then you
have a call for votes. At this time you start collecting votes (by mail) either
for or against the group. If, after 1 month, you have 100 more yes votes than
no votes, the group becomes official and is created by a backbone site. Of
course, you have to post who voted yes and no so it may be verified.

This was tried about a year back. I think it was Ray that tried it. But it
didn't get the support it needed. Anybody can propose a group. You can try
again if you'd like by just following the above procedure. But be prepared to
get flamed heavily on news.groups...

Devon