[comp.sys.cbm] c64 accelerator

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey) (09/05/89)

I recently saw an add for a commodore 64 4 mghtz accelerator? Does anyone here
have that and does it actually work? I can see it working, but does it work with
commercial software and what exactly does it speed up?

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                |      ///  //  \\

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/12/89)

 > From: specter@disk.UUCP (Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey)

 > I recently saw an add for a commodore 64 4 mghtz accelerator? Does anyone
 > here
 > have that and does it actually work? I can see it working, but does it work
 > with
 > commercial software and what exactly does it speed up?

   As far as I know it's either a 65C02 or a 65816 CPU (probably the former),
which means that it won't run software that depends on the undocumented op
codes. The only software which I *know* uses them is PaperClip (because I've
known and worked with Steve Douglas for years), but I'd be surprised if there
weren't others out there that had the same problem.

   Sorry I can't give more info (e.g. on-board RAM, I/O wait states, etc.) but
I only know this much about it because I saw a complaint to the effect that PC
wouldn't work with the board...

--
Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP: {{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!}zswamp!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh