[comp.sys.cbm] C128 at 9600

gary.farmaner@canremote.uucp (GARY FARMANER) (09/02/89)

Doug,

 I never claimed that Dialogue works at 9600. It works flawlessly at
4800 baud, the maximum that 99.9% of C128 owners will ever need.

 Desterm has indeed begun to catch up on Dialogue features (although
several months ago there were accusations of the reverse). However, I'm
not standing still on Dialogue.

 If anyone finds that Desterm fulfills their needs, then great. However,
just make sure you send in the required shareware contribution.

Gary
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey) (09/04/89)

What kind of features does desterm have? What protocals? Any Emulations? Just
wondering. I have been looking for a good vt100 emulator for a long time. The
best I have found, was kermit 2.1 for c128. And then again that does not have
all the features I wanted like a buffer, xmodem, punter, CP/M disk access. The
only terminal I founwith all the extra features (but without a good emulation
was bobsterm 128. It had tons of features. Writing to CP/M formats, Converting
files from basic to text and visa versa, but the emulations had a littel bit
to be desired. They didn't support scroll regions for vt100 which is a little
annoying and some applications scrolled the screen when printing on the 80th
column. Other than that that program was wonderful! It had a built in text
editor that I used often for editing C sources then sending them from the
buffer. Also, I tried out vt100/128 on the 1670 distribution disk and found
that it always errors when I load it. The program runs and appears to be
working and then it gets a strange drive error (I think it is 31 syntax
error or unknown command or something, note that I am using it on a 1541 and
not a double sided drive which may be the problem). I got past the error by
last program in memory with MACH-128. Then somehow that seems to reset the drive
and fix that error. Other than that, with vt100 I have had problems with it
really emulating a true vt100. It supports the locates and I think it trys on
the scroll regions, but it just doesn't get it. It ends up linefeeding at the
80th column and the scroll regions can be messed up. Anyone know of any term
that supports all of my needs in one package?

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                |      ///  //  \\

matt@f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Matthew Desmond) (09/07/89)

Hi Byron!

  This is Matthew Desmond here (I wrote DesTerm).  I put much effort

into getting the VT100 (VT102 actually) emulation perfect.  In V1.01
I got close, but no cigar...   As of yet, I have had no complaints
about the emulation capabilities of V1.02.  DesTerm does 9600 baud,
and has most of the popular protocols (except kermit -- blah!).  It
has buffer capability (limited at the moment) -- as well as a whole
bunch of neat features...  Where can you get it?  Well...

 The Spanish Inquisition 1-519-747-5322...  File area 3.  DSTRM102.ARC

(V1.02) or DESTERM.SDA (V1.00).  You will need some way of extracting

the files (ie CS-DOS or ARC -- V2.30 is best).  ARC is available at
this system (C64 file area).  Some people are having difficulties with
the extraction of files.  Others are having trouble with some disk
drives -- I have no idea why -- it all works great on my system...

  Any questions ??  Ask away..

  Matthew E. Desmond,  Author of DesTerm...

--
Matthew Desmond - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP: {{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!}zswamp!178!matt

bowen@mira.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon Bowen) (09/14/89)

In article <834.250D29F8@zswamp.fidonet.org>,
matt@f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Matthew Desmond) writes:
> DesTerm does 9600 baud,
> and has most of the popular protocols (except kermit -- blah!).

I don't intend to start a protocol war, but I wanted to point out that
kermit is the only protocol robust enough to work through our school
network. We've got lots of problems with flow control hardware and similar
things and I simply wouldn't be able to up/download without kermit.

Devon