[comp.sys.cbm] Help! My 1571 turned into a 1541

paulm@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (paul.j.maioriello) (08/30/89)

It seems as if one of my 1571's has lost the ability to read/write to
the second side of disks.  Things like directories work O.K.  Even programs
load fine if they are contained entirely on tracks 1 to 35.  As soon as I
try to access track 36 or higher, however, I get error message number
66 "Illegal track or sector".  I have verified this with a Disk Doctor
program.  The same disks that fail in this 1571 work O.K in the other one.
When I try to format a disk with it, I can cout 35 clicks then I get a
"?Bad Disk" error.

I suspect that the bottom read/write head is bad on this drive.
I have opened it up (warranty is long gone) and suspect that I could
replace the read/write mechanism (It looks as though the heads must be
replaced as a set).  The questions I have are:

1. Is there some other problem that might be causing this type of behavior?

2. Does anybody sell replacement parts for 1571?

3. I really want to get the drive back.  I have tried a flat rate repair
place before, with little success. I would rather buy a new drive than
deal with flat rate repair again.  Has anybody found a place lately
that still sells 1571's.  They seem to be awful scarce lately.
Maybe they are going the way of the 1750.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul M.
cbnewsj!paulm

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/08/89)

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The following entry should be credited to JIN MINES of
                 "Library BBS", (206)562-2447, Seattle, WA, USA

In article <371@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, paulm@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (paul.j.maioriello) writes:

  [...most of the message about the broke 1571 taken out...]

> They [1571s] seem to be awful scarce lately.
> Maybe they are going the way of the 1750.

Msg#:43554 *Commodore*  ----> Library BBS, (206)562-2447, Seattle, WA, USA
09/06/89 20:51:28
From: JON MINES
Subj: REPLY TO MSG# 43388 (778: 1571 DRIVE PROBLEMS)

Well the reason why you can't find the 1571's is because the company that
distributed them has decided to stop distributing them for Commodore!  Isn't
that a shame!?  I have a 71 with my 64 system and want to buy another, but why
not by a 81?  Well just wanted to tell you that info...

Jon

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (09/11/89)

In article <6618@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The following entry should be credited to JIN MINES of
>                 "Library BBS", (206)562-2447, Seattle, WA, USA
>
>Well the reason why you can't find the 1571's is because the company that
>distributed them has decided to stop distributing them for Commodore!  Isn't
>that a shame!?  I have a 71 with my 64 system and want to buy another, but why
>not by a 81?  Well just wanted to tell you that info...
>
>Jon

Keep in mind that you're calling from Seattle, and here I am in Houston,
reading your message.  Commodore has many distributors nationwide, broken
down into regions... even if the distributor in Seattle quit, that
wouldn't affect anyone beyond the Pacific Northwest.

If you want a 1571/81 you could always go mail-order.. or buy from a chain
that has their own distribution network, like Toys'R'Us.

Unless, of course, Commodore has ceased manufacture of all 8-bit
equipment...

David

--
David Paulsen    ..uunet!nuchat!seven  ||| The Curiosity Shop BBS, 713/488-7836
"She moans.  He moves the camera up, slowly, deeper inside her, f/22 at 1/60th

paulm@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (paul.j.maioriello) (09/14/89)

In article <14421@nuchat.UUCP>, seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:

> If you want a 1571/81 you could always go mail-order.. or buy from a chain
> that has their own distribution network, like Toys'R'Us.
>
> Unless, of course, Commodore has ceased manufacture of all 8-bit
> equipment...

Well things may not be that bad.  I am the guy who had the original
problem with the 1571.  I am ashamed to say that all it needed was a
good cleaning.  In my quest for a replacement (that I now, happily,
don't need) I called Commodore suppport in West Chester.  The person on the
phone told me in no uncertain terms that the 1571 is discontinued.
Apparantly, this is not the case for the 1581s.  A pessemistic view of
this situation is that CBM is getting out of the 8 bit market.  A more
optomistic interpretation is that CBM is standardizing on the 3 1/2 inch
format.  This may be a positive move over the long run. Let's hope its
the latter.  Would anyone from Commodore like to comment?  Incedentally,
a rash of 1571 adds have appeared lately.  Beware!  Every dealer I called
ended up admitting they were rebuilt.  They would only carry a 30 day
warranty.  In most cases, they are charging more for these rebuilts than
they used to cost new.

Moral of my 1571 problem: Dont try to be too smart!! Make sure you
try cleaning the heads before you give up on it!  Even if your drive
dies all of a sudden, and you think it can't possibly be dirty heads;
do yourself a favor and

#define LECTURE_MODE

TRY CLEANING THE HEADS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!!

#undef LECTURE_MODE

Paul M
lzatt!pjm