[comp.sys.cbm] 6522 chip specifications

NETOPRBH@NCSUVM.BITNET (Brandon Hill) (09/07/89)

Does anyone have any info on the 6522 I/O chip (the one used in the 1541) ?
I have a couple off of a dead 1541, but no specs on them.  I do have fairly
detailed specifications on the 6526 (used in C64 and 128), but i think that
the differences are enough that I should not trust the pin-outs to be similar.

Even just a pin-out description of the chip would be helpful.  Are there any
reference books with this information?
                                                     BlH

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/08/89)

In article <915NETOPRBH@NCSUVM>, NETOPRBH@NCSUVM.BITNET (Brandon Hill) writes:
> Does anyone have any info on the 6522 I/O chip (the one used in the 1541) ?
> I have a couple off of a dead 1541, but no specs on them.  I do have fairly
> detailed specifications on the 6526 (used in C64 and 128), but i think that
> the differences are enough that I should not trust the pin-outs to be similar.
>
> Even just a pin-out description of the chip would be helpful.  Are there any
> reference books with this information?
>                                                      BlH

Yes I believe there are. Here are some titles of books that might be
of help to you:

   Commodore 1541/VIC 1541     Computerfacts from SAMS
                               (photos, schematics of hardware, tips)

   Commodore 1541 Disk Drive   from SAMS
   Trouble Shooting & Repair
   Guide

   1541 Repair and             from Abacus Software
   Maintenance Guide

   The Anatomy of the          (more software oriented with ROM listings,
   1541 Drive Book              description of the DOS, but perhaps hardware
                                specification too.)

Once again, I don't want to play favoratism by mentioning
any sources where you can obtain this books, but most
companies that carries commodore hardware and software
should have them. Check inside commodore magazines for
mail order companies if your local sources don't carry them. Also check
your local commodore repair centers (in the phone book)
if they have and sell these books.

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (09/09/89)

In article <915NETOPRBH@NCSUVM> NETOPRBH@NCSUVM.BITNET (Brandon Hill) writes:
>Does anyone have any info on the 6522 I/O chip (the one used in the 1541) ?
>
>Even just a pin-out description of the chip would be helpful.  Are there any
>reference books with this information?
>                                                     BlH

I'm looking at page 107 of _The Complete Commodore Inner Space Anthology_,
a book published in 1985 by Karl Hildon, once-editor of The Transactor.
Page 107 contains pinouts for most (if not all) of the Commodore chips,
including the 6522 and 6526.

The 6522 is remarkably like the 6526, with the following exceptions:

PIN   6522   6526
------------------
 18    CB1    PC
 19    CB2    TOD

 23    CS2    CS
 24    CS1    FLAG

 26    D7     DB7
 27    D6     DB6
 28    D5     DB5
 29    D4     DB4
 30    D3     DB3
 31    D2     DB2
 32    D1     DB1
 33    D0     DB0

 39    CA2    SP
 40    CA1    CNT

Beyond that, the book does not say much more.

David

--
David Paulsen    ..uunet!nuchat!seven  ||| The Curiosity Shop BBS, 713/488-7836
"She moans.  He moves the camera up, slowly, deeper inside her, f/22 at 1/60th

jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) (09/10/89)

from programmer's standpoints, so you don't get pinouts or
timing diagrams.

M:  My boss doesn't understand me...  :  Jim Butterfield, Toronto  :
:   .. and I'm my own boxxss!          :    cbmjb@cbmtor                :

jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) (09/10/89)

** the line-eater got me !!  **  trying again **
If you can find it: Vic-20 Programmer's reference Guide,
pages 218 to 226
Or:  Machine Language for the Commodore 64, 128, and
Other Commodore Computers (Jim Butterfield), appendix I.
  Both the above are written from a programmer standpoint,
so no pinouts or timing diagrams.
--jim

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/11/89)

 > From: NETOPRBH@NCSUVM.BITNET (Brandon Hill)

 > Does anyone have any info on the 6522 I/O chip (the one used in the 1541) ?
 > I have a couple off of a dead 1541, but no specs on them.  I do have fairly
 > detailed specifications on the 6526 (used in C64 and 128), but i think that
 > the differences are enough that I should not trust the pin-outs to be
 > similar.
 >
 > Even just a pin-out description of the chip would be helpful.  Are there
 > any
 > reference books with this information?

   The 6522 VIA (Versatile Interface Adapter) should be documented to some
degree in almost any book about the 6502. It was used in the PET and thus
should feature prominently in such books as "Programming the PET/CBM" and "The
PET Revealed", not to mention "The Complete Commodore Inner Space Anthology".
If you can't get a hold of these publications, email me (izot@zswamp) and I
will send you any specific info you're after.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP: {{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!}zswamp!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (09/17/89)

Another place to get info on really old chips like the 6522 is in the
KIM-1 manual set.  I've got it in a crate somewhere at my parents
house, and could dig them up over Christmas if anyone's really
desparate and patient.  Alternatively, I'd expect these to be in some
university libraries, or just look for other 30ish former hackers like
me ;-).
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Reagan had brain surgery?  They didn't let Igor pick out the brain
again, did they?