[comp.sys.cbm] Getting Vic1540 to work with Commodore Plus/4

kleinj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Justin Klein) (09/12/89)

I am the recipient of a Commodore Plus/4 computer.  It is, for all I have seen
a good machine to have, all things considered.  The built in software make it
about the most potentially useful machine I have found in a long long time.

The problem right now is finding some mass storage for it.  To this end a local
friend has donated his VIC20 and associated equipement.  The 1540 disk drive
attracted my attention.  A close look at the DIN plug showed that it fit the
serial port on the Plus/4 very nicely...that is to say, exactly.

Once I plugged it in and attempted to use it, though, interesting things happened.

When the command to HEADER the disk was issued fromthe Plus, I was able to see
it activate the drive...heard it sector it out, and do all that....and then
watched as it spun the disk, contiunously, as though it couldn't find its way
back.
Once I connected the disk drive to the VIC, however, I was surprised to find
that the header was there, just as I had specified from the  Plus's keyborad.
Additonally, when connected to a friend's 1541 and 1551, I found I could get
a disk directory a well as run one or two of the programs on (I am aware of
the Plus/4-64 software incompatibility).

I have been told that there is a software way to force the 64 to read using
the old VIC disk drive involving PEEK/POKE.  Is there a way to do this with
the Plus/4?  Failing that, is there any hardware fix that could be affected?

Thanks in advance,
-kleinj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu-/-Justin the Blue-/-In the Ecotopian Hinterlands-

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (09/13/89)

In article <12467@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kleinj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Justin the Blue) writes:
>The problem right now is finding some mass storage for it.  To this end a local
>friend has donated his VIC20 and associated equipment.
>Additonally, when connected to a friend's 1541 and 1551, I found I could get
                                                    ^^^^
     Serious question: What's a 1551? I've never heard of it before. Was it a
twin-drive 1541 or what?
>I have been told that there is a software way to force the 64 to read using
>the old VIC disk drive involving PEEK/POKE.  Is there a way to do this with
>the Plus/4?  Failing that, is there any hardware fix that could be affected?
     Two pieces of information that may and may not help. First, you MAY be
thinking of the command which could be sent to a 1541 to make it work
correctly with a VIC-20 - essentially, a command to slow it down an essentially
unnoticable amount. Secondly - and this'll be hard to find - Commodore issued
a chip revision for the 1540 a long, long time ago to make it work correctly
with the C64 (essentially, this turned the 1540 into a 1541.) This MIGHT fix
your problem IF you can find one - good luck.
                                                    - R'ykandar.

--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (09/13/89)

In article <12664@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <12467@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kleinj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Justin the Blue) writes:
>>I have been told that there is a software way to force the 64 to read using
>>the old VIC disk drive involving PEEK/POKE.  Is there a way to do this with
>>the Plus/4?  Failing that, is there any hardware fix that could be affected?
>     Two pieces of information that may and may not help. First, you MAY be
>thinking of the command which could be sent to a 1541 to make it work
>correctly with a VIC-20 - essentially, a command to slow it down an essentially
>unnoticable amount. Secondly - and this'll be hard to find - Commodore issued
>a chip revision for the 1540 a long, long time ago to make it work correctly
>with the C64 (essentially, this turned the 1540 into a 1541.) This MIGHT fix
>your problem IF you can find one - good luck.

Actually, the command you send to the 1541 to make it work with the VIC-20
speeds the drive up.  The C64 has more characters on its screen than a VIC,
and so its video chip takes more bus time away from the processor.  Thus,
disk access on a 64 is a little slower than on a VIC.  You can speed up the
64 a bit by turning off its screen.  (Sorry, I don't remember the location,
but you should be able to find it in any good 64 ref. book.)  This is probably
the POKE mentioned that allows the 1540 to work with the 64.

>                                                    - R'ykandar.
>
>--
>| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
>| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

- Mike
--
|XXX| __/\__ |XXX|--------------------------+-----------------********=========
|XXX| \    / |XXX|  Michael D. Ketchen      |   This space    ********=========
|XXX| /____\ |XXX|  mketch@pawl.rpi.edu     |   for rent...   =================
|XXX|   ][   |XXX|  mketch@rpitsmts.bitnet  +-----------------=================

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/21/89)

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The following entry should be credited to BILL MOORE of
                 "Library BBS", (206)641-7978, Seattle, WA, USA

In article <12467@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, kleinj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Justin Klein) writes:
> I am the recipient of a Commodore Plus/4 computer.
......[some portion of the message omitted].......
> I have been told that there is a software way to force the 64 to read using
> the old VIC disk drive involving PEEK/POKE.  Is there a way to do this with
> the Plus/4?  Failing that, is there any hardware fix that could be affected?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -kleinj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu-/-Justin the Blue-/-In the Ecotopian Hinterlands-

Msg#:46606 *Commodore*  --->  Library BBS, (206)641-7978, Seattle, WA, USA
09/20/89 15:38:21
From: BILL MOORE
Subj: REPLY TO MSG# 46341 (857: VIC1540 WITH THE PLUS/4)

It's been a loong time, but I remember a command that should be sent to the
1540 to slow the rate at which it comunicates with the C64 or +/4. it was
something like:
          Print#15,"u+" for the VIC-20 (default)
          Print#15,"u-" for the C64 & +/4 Of course you will need to open the
command channel first with: OPEN15,8,15 I hope this helps.