[comp.sys.cbm] SFD 1001

iain.bennett@canremote.uucp (IAIN BENNETT) (09/15/89)

I have a question about the sfd 1001 disk drive and Bus_card 2.

how do you format a disk.  I tried the  "n0:" command and it takes a
while, and when I flip the drive door open, the light doesn't flash.

also, it bumps, (worse than a comodore 1541!).  Please help!

this is for a friends board!

bye!

 * QNet 1.04a1: MCS BBS, Milton, On., Canada, (416)878-5935 (19200 HST)

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/18/89)

 > From: iain.bennett@canremote.uucp (IAIN BENNETT)

 > I have a question about the sfd 1001 disk drive and Bus_card 2.
 > how do you format a disk.  I tried the  "n0:" command and it takes a
 > while, and when I flip the drive door open, the light doesn't flash.
 > also, it bumps, (worse than a comodore 1541!).  Please help!

   Did you remember to include a disk ID? If not, the SFD will try a short
format, which doesn't work on disks that aren't already formatted for that
drive.

BASIC 2.0:

open 1,8,15,"n0:diskname,zz"

BASIC 4.0 (SYS 61000 to enable on the BusCard II)

header d0,"diskname",izz

   Geoff

NOTE: BASIC 4.0 has a shortcoming: if you want to have the ID "fd", for
instance, the command line parser will tokenize the "if" in ",ifd" and result
in a syntax error. There are workarounds (such as putting brackets around the
ID, or using variables to hold the info rather than typing them explicitly).
The quickest way is to include the comma and id in the quotes (as you would
for a "n0:" command BUT BASIC 4.0 will check the TOTAL length of the string
against the sixteen byte limit for disk names (even though the comma and two
ID characters don't really count), limiting you to thirteen character disk
names if you use that technique. <sigh>

--
Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP: {{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!}zswamp!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh

dan.copeland@canremote.uucp (DAN COPELAND) (09/23/89)

>From: IAIN BENNETT
bj: SFD 1001xD

>I have a question about the sfd 1001 disk drive and Bus_card 2.
>
>how do you format a disk.  I tried the  "n0:" command and it takes a

Exactly the same as with any other cbm disk drive...
"n0:diskname,id" sent to the error channel i.e.
open 15,devnum,15,"n0:disname,id"
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR