[comp.sys.cbm] C64 power supply

bhf@mtuxo.UUCP (b.freedman) (12/15/86)

I have a c64 with what appears to be a dead power supply.  Can they be
fixed?  Does anyone have an extra to sell? Where can they be picked up
in the central Jersey area?

Thanks for any help.  Barry

sands@usiv03.dec.com (12/19/86)

If you remove the cover from the power supply there is a fuse inside buried
down in a bunch of goop. It is possible that it may be blown. If not pick
up a copy of Compute's Gazette which deals with the Commodore 64. In it you
will find a ton of adds from shops that repair the C64. Most are mail order,
but it is possible that one may be near you.

Rgds

Larry Sands
Digital Equipment Corp.
Southwest Area
Field Service Sales Support

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/26/86)

Toys-R-Us routinely stocks replacement power packs for the C-64.  I
have about 6 C-64s to take care of in one of our labs.  The power
packs made in the last couple of years are potted in plastic, which
makes servicing even the fuse pretty nasty.  If I remember right,
the Toys-R-Us model was good for 5 amps and cost "only" $29.

You might also thumb through the back of Byte Magazine in the ads.
I think Jameco Electronics has a C-64 power pack in the same price
range.  For a few bucks extra, they should be able to get it to you
in just a couple of days by 2nd day air UPS.  Jameco also stocks
replacement VIC-2 chips, PALs, SIDs, etc for the C-64.

My experience has been that the SID seems particularly sensitive to
overvoltage, and will burn out relatively quickly.  Use care when
monkeying with the power for your C-64 that you keep the voltage to
5.0 volts maximum!  (on Vcc, that is.)

By the way, when the new 256K ram pack for the C-64 comes out, it
will include a new power pack to accomodate the additional power
required for the memory cartridge.

Also, thanks Commodore for making the power pack for th C-128
decent.  It was about time that the fuse was made accessible
without taking a chisel to the plastic blob!

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

In article <342@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>                                                          The power
>packs made in the last couple of years are potted in plastic, which
>makes servicing even the fuse pretty nasty.
>
>Also, thanks Commodore for making the power pack for th C-128
>decent.  It was about time that the fuse was made accessible
>without taking a chisel to the plastic blob!
>
>Bill Mayhew

The potted power supplies are a result of trying to sell the same system/supply
in Canda as the US.  The Canadian safty testing outfit (CSA) thinks that "NO
USER SERVICABLE PARTS" means no user replacable fuse.  If the power supply fuse
were replacable, then the whole mess needs to be certified in a different
category.  There is also some tie-in with whether or not a 3-prong plug is
required.

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/24/89)

My power supply for the C64 has broken down, and I am thinking of
repairing it myself. I was able to find all the necessary parts
to try to fix it except one, the tranformer. So I have two questions
in regards to the transformer. I hope someone will be able to
answer them.

1. How is it likely that the transformer is the culprit in the break down?
2. Where can I buy a transformer that has the same specification as that
   of the one used in the C64 power supply?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Stephen

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (09/25/89)

A transformer can really only fail one way - a winding opens up, usually from
excessive heat melting solder at some point where wires are joined. Oxidation
and a cold solder joint eventually cause the winding to open. Of course, if
you dead short the thing, it can also melt the wire itself depending on the
rating of the transformer.

A C64 transformer actually has two independent windings, and you'll not likely
find one exactly like it. Replace it with one 6V, 2A transformer (for the
5VDC supply) and one 9 to 12V, 2A transformer (for the isolated 9VAC supply).
Older C64s draw about 1 Amp from each of the 5VDC and 9VAC supplies, while
newer ones draw more from the 5VDC supply and less from the 9VAC supply.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

Geoffrey.Welsh@p0.f171.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/25/89)

 > From: scott@max.u.washington.edu

 > My power supply for the C64 has broken down, and I am thinking of
 > repairing it myself. I was able to find all the necessary parts
 > to try to fix it except one, the tranformer. So I have two questions
 > in regards to the transformer. I hope someone will be able to
 > answer them.
 >
 > 1. How is it likely that the transformer is the culprit in the break down?
 > 2. Where can I buy a transformer that has the same specification as that
 >    of the one used in the C64 power supply?

1. Negligible.
2. As far as I know, Commodore uses a custom-wound one (they're cheap in
sufficient volume).

   Chances are that the failure is in the voltage regulator. This may or may
not help you, depending on how old your power supply is. The first ones (in
the larger cases, with vents in them) can be opened, but the newer ones
(smaller, solid "blocks" with plastic fins) are poured full of epoxy, so that
you'd destroy the innards while trying to get at the parts.

   If you have an older one and the voltage regulator is at fault (i.e.
there's at least 8V going in and anything but 5V coming out), then you could
replace it with part number LM323 (I'm sure there are others, but that's the
one I have ued successfully). Beware of pinouts; even if the case looks the
same, the in, out, and ground pins may be arranged differently!

   If you want to build a new supply from scratch (using cables salvaged from
the old one), that should be easy using two transformers. The 10V power line
requires only 1A typically, so you won't have a hard time finding a part for
that.

   Supplying the voltage regulator is a bit more tricky. You want the input to
be above 7.5V for the regulator to work, but every extra bit over that means
more power dissipation in the form of heat. Buying an 8V transformer and
putting it through a bridge rectifier won't work, since the voltage drop
accross two diodes is enough to drop 8V below the regulator's operating input
level. On the other hand, a rectifying transformer (in the form of a
centre-tap transformer with one diode) has a lower voltage drop... perhaps
someone with a bit more experience than I can tell you what values to look
for, since my solution was brute force (expensive heavy-duty parts, BIG heat
sink - but I got a power supply that ran two and even three computers at a
time as other supplies died out!)

NOTES: It wouldn't be a bad idea to put a 5.2V Zener diode between the 5V
output and ground. Put a fuse "inside" the loop created if the Zener cuts in,
so that the fuse'll go if the regulator ever dies & cranks full voltage at the
C64.

Don't fall to the temptation to buy one hi-current 10V transformer to feed
both the 10V AC and 5VDC lines; the C64 internals do not expect the AC lines
to have any voltage or signal relative to GND or +5. The effects of not
observing this expected isolation range from mild (VIC chip displays off
patterns on screen, even when C64 power is off; fuse inside C64 blows) to
disasterous (blow most major LSI chips int he C64).

   Put a large filter capacitor on the INPUT side of the regulator (1,000
microFarads per amp of expected current - I used a 4700 uF myself) and a small
capacitor (perhaps the exxperts can suggest an appropriate value?) on the
output side. This will give a steady voltage to the regulator and help reduce
noise amplification by the regulator, respectively.

   Hope I've been helpful, informative, or entertaining.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP: {{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!}zswamp!171.0!Geoffrey.Welsh

bas@wuibc.UUCP (Barry Siegfried) (09/25/89)

In article <7296@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> My power supply for the C64 has broken down, and I am thinking of
. . .
> 1. How is it likely that the transformer is the culprit in the break down?
> 2. Where can I buy a transformer that has the same specification as that
>    of the one used in the C64 power supply?

I once had a problem such that it took longer and longer for the C64 to power up
after turning it on.  It turned out that one of the capacitors in the power
supply needed to be replaced; the transformer was fine.  I don't know what the
replacement transformer is.

Barry Siegfried (bas@wuibc.wustl.edu)

mikemo@opus.uucp (Mike Mo) (09/26/89)

Scott:
About your power supply, I have some personal experince that may be useful.
I repaired two C64 power supply before.  None of them had a bad transformer.
Their common problem is the 5V regulator.  After I changed the failed regulator
they all worked fine. My response to your questions is as follows:
1. Transformer does go bad if  it is  shorted internally, but it is very rare.
2. If you need a replacement transformer,  it should have 120V primary, two
   secondary winding, two 9V 2A windings would be fine or try to use an 18V, 2A
   center tapped secondary (break the center tap, so it is two 9V 2A windings).
   For transformer part number please see Radio shack catalog?
Good Luck!

/* Disclaimer:  McDonnell Douglas has nothing to do with my opinions          *//* Mike Mo                                                                    */
/* McDonnell Douglas Tymnet                                                   */
/* San Jose, Ca                                                               */
/* (408)922-6032                                                              */

scott@max.u.washington.edu (09/27/89)

Thanks to everyone for the advices given in regards to the power
supply.

After reading your comments, I realize there are number of ways
in which improvements can be addred from the original power supply
like adding a led power indicator, fuse, small built in motor
motor fan, etc..

If possible, could someone who has a schematics of a good improved
version of the C64 power supply post the schematics here.
I will appreciate it very much.
I am sure that there are alot of other people who are in need of
such schematics...

tahnk
thanks in advance,
Scott Stephen

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (09/29/89)

In article <7445@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> Thanks to everyone for the advices given in regards to the power
> supply.
>
> After reading your comments, I realize there are number of ways
> in which improvements can be addred from the original power supply
> like adding a led power indicator, fuse, small built in motor
> motor fan, etc..
>
> If possible, could someone who has a schematics of a good improved
> version of the C64 power supply post the schematics here.
> I will appreciate it very much.
> I am sure that there are alot of other people who are in need of
> such schematics...
>
> tahnk
> thanks in advance,
> Scott Stephen

Since there have been several posts here concerning power supply
problems for the C64, I thought I would dust off this old article
I had.  Took  a while to find it.  I still see these Coleco
supplys advertised from time to time.  I have also seen them
under a quite different part number, apparently Coleco second
sourced the unit.  I know of one C64 hacker who has used dozens
of these, he makes them up for  friends.  I have been using one
for years now with no problems whatsoever.

The following is the text of an article that I placed in the Michigan Commodore
Users Group newsletter in November, 1986.  I am posting it here because I know
USENET people are always interested in a bargain.

  Twelve Dollar C64 Power Supply
  ------------------------------

  If the Commodore 64 has a weak spot, it is surely the power supply.  Mine
started to act up last spring.  After an hour or so of calling BBS numbers,
the screen would suddenly scramble, and the computer would lock up.  I noticed
that the red Power LED on the 64 would dim, indicating power supply failure.
I know of at least six people that have had identical problems in various
degrees.  Some were failing within ten minutes of turn-on.  Mine would take
two hours and then fail only with the additional load of an RS232 interface.

  A friend told me of his success in using a surplus Coleco Adam
power supply model PS 72559 with his 64.  This is a well designed circuit
with at least twice the iron in the transformer and three times the heat
sink of the Commodore unit.  It is large and ugly, measuring 3" x 8" x 9",
and comes on an open chassis as it was originally mounted inside the Adam
printer.  There is a separate primary on/off switch, and all the 115 volt
wiring is safely covered by a separate metal shield on the bottom.  The
regulators are 723 types driving 2N3055 pass transistors and appear to have
overload protection built in.

  The following are the results of my investigation and use of the supply.
Some of this information was obtained from the JAMECO data sheet.

  These are the connections to the nine pin D plug that comes with the unit:

  Wire Color   Pin   Voltage   Amps
  ----------   ---   -------  ------
   Green        1    Ground    ----
   Yellow       2     -5 VDC  200 Ma
   Orange       3     +5 VDC  3.0 A
   Red          4    +12 VDC  2.9 A
   Brown        5    +12 VDC  1.0 A
   -None----    6
   Bare Wire    7    No Connection
   Violet       8    No Connection
   Blue         9    No Connection

 Connecting the Coleco Supply to a C64
 -------------------------------------

  Snip the leads from the grey cable with the D type nine pin connector that
comes with the supply.  Remove the entire cable and discard it.  You will
use only the plus five volt source (orange wire connected to E9 on the
circuit board), and ground (green wire to E11).  Cut or unsolder the two green
wires from the transformer pins 7 and 8.  This will furnish the 9 volts AC
required for the 64 VIC chip.

  Now you must decide whether or not to destroy your old 64 supply to get the
proper cable, or obtain one elsewhere.  I went elsewhere, as my 64 supply was
still working to some degree.  You can make a cable with four conductor wire
and a seven pin DIN plug, or possibly you can obtain a defunct supply from
one of the computer stores that takes trade-ins.  I believe a dead supply can
be had for five dollars.  The DIN plug alone can cost $2.50.

  This is the power supply connector that plugs into the jack on the right
side of the 64.  YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE PINS.  Pins C, D, and F will be missing
on the plug, but the socket in the C64 has all seven.

            *    *
         *    **    *
       *      **      *
      *   A         B  *
     *                  *
     *                  *
    *                    *
    * C                D *
    *                    *
    *                    *
     *                  *
     *   F           G  *
      *                *
       *       H      *
         *          *
           *  **  *

  Now you must make the connections from the Coleco supply to the seven pin
DIN plug.   Use an ohm meter to verify the wires if you are using a Commodore
cable as the colors have been observed to vary.  Connect the following:

DIN Pin   Voltage    Comes From Coleco
-------   --------   -----------------
   A       9 VAC     Transformer Pin 7
   B       9 VAC     Transformer Pin 8
   G      +5 VDC     Orange wire or E9
   H      Ground     Green wire or E11

  Possible sources for the PS 72559 are:

 JAMECO Electronics,     415-592-8097
 R & D Electronics,      813-772-1441
 Hosfelt Electronics     800-524-6464
 Electronic Parts Co.    313-893-3228

  They may be available locally, consult your Yellow Pages under
Electronic Equipment and Supplies.  Prices range from nine to $18 plus
shipping.

  I have been using the big, ugly Coleco supply since July and am totally
satisfied.  The C64 uses only about a quarter of the units capacity so it
barely warms up.  I simply screwed it upside down to the bottom surface of my
computer table.  Four other people I know are using the converted units with
perfect performance.

Disclaimer:
You MUST verify the connections and voltages before attempting to use the
adapted power supply.  YOUR COMPUTER WILL GO UP IN SMOKE if it is wired
wrong so if you are not sure of your work, get help from someone who has
fourty years of experience in electronics, is a working Nuclear
Scientist, a Registered Professional Engineer, or an EDS employee.  I will
not be responsible if you detonate your 64 doing this modification.

Jim Harvey, 18538 Inkster
Redford, Michigan, 48240
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh