[comp.sys.cbm] LOGO

tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) (09/29/89)

Does anyone know where I can obtain the LOGO (or SEELOGO) software? My daughter
will be working with it on an Apple and I remember last year a discussion on it
came up on this group. I have a C128 and would like to have it available at
home. Is it PD or commercial (and if commercial, do you have an address?)

Thanks for your response,
Tom

Tom S. Edwards           {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyd!tse

bbadger@x102c.harris-atd.com (Badger BA 64810) (10/02/89)

In article <1433@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can obtain the LOGO (or SEELOGO) software? My daughter
>will be working with it on an Apple and I remember last year a discussion on it
>came up on this group. I have a C128 and would like to have it available at
>home. Is it PD or commercial (and if commercial, do you have an address?)

Commodore puts out a version derived from the same Terrapin LOGO
as the Apple ][ uses.

I bought C= LOGO years ago for $39.00.  About 1 yr ago I picked up a
new C64 version for $1.00, including the ~200pp. manual!  The original
manual was a huge 9x11" book but the new manual had a reduced format,
about 5x8".  The smaller format is more convenient, IMO.  It's a
pretty nice little system, though I never did anything ``serious''
with it.  So look around on those back shelves for those ``slow
moving'' items.  (For some reason LOGO never caught on big.)

You might also want to look into COMAL.  It has Turtle graphics like
LOGO, but is more of a cross between Pascal and BASIC.  Comal 0.14 is
available free for the C64.  There was a magazine called Comal Today,
but it's been a couple of years since I heard anything on it.

Both languages take quite a while to load (C64 + 1541) and don't leave
a whole lot of space left for serious programming.  There was supposed
to be cartridges available for LOGO and COMAL 2.0, but I've never seen
them.  The cartridges would leave more space for the user program.
Good luck.--

    -----	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	----
Bernard A. Badger Jr.	407/984-6385          |``Get a LIFE!''  -- J.H. Conway
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902             |Buddy, can you paradigm?
Internet: bbadger%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com|'s/./&&/g' Tom sed expansively.

anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (10/02/89)

In article <2742@trantor.harris-atd.com> bbadger@x102c.harris-atd.com (Badger BA 64810) writes:
>In article <1433@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can obtain the LOGO (or SEELOGO) software? My daughter
.... stuff ommitted about the CBM LOGO (which is a very good implementation...)

>You might also want to look into COMAL.  It has Turtle graphics like
>LOGO, but is more of a cross between Pascal and BASIC.  Comal 0.14 is
>available free for the C64.  There was a magazine called Comal Today,
>but it's been a couple of years since I heard anything on it.
There is now a version (still free) called Power Driver (available on
Quantum Link) which can  be compiled to a standalone program.  It includes
many of the features of 2.0 ... there is also user group support on QLink.
(there is a larger workspace available with Power Driver, and an even larger
one with the compiled programs!)

There is a LOGO emulator avaiable that provides a command line interface to the
the turtle that looks 'pretty much like' LOGO syntax.... on the other hand
the LOGO/Lisp language family is RADICALLY different from LOGO.  If you want
LOGO get LOGO (BTW an excellent PD LISP (two actually) is available on QLINK).

"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  anderson@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM |UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!jpa
     Joel Peter Anderson         |ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jpa@nosc.mil
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |INET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com  QLINK: JPA

amblard@imag.fr (Paul Amblard) (10/03/89)

In article <1433@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can obtain the LOGO (or SEELOGO) software?

Commodore itself sold a very nice version of Logo. I own it and had a lot
of fun with it. I assume it always exists. Ask to a good Commodore dealer.

Good Luck.
					Paul