[comp.sys.cbm] Expansion for C64

MHM104@PSUVM.BITNET (10/04/89)

Hello all,
     Quite some time ago, I saw in a software store, an "expansion unit" for th
e C64. This unit increased its memory and provided for a RAM drive.
     I would like to know if anyone has one of these or knows anything about th
e units as I am interested in getting one. Any information would be appreciated
.

                         Thanks,
                           Mitchell Markowitz

scott@max.u.washington.edu (10/05/89)

In article <89276.135528MHM104@PSUVM.BITNET>, MHM104@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Hello all,
>      Quite some time ago, I saw in a software store, an "expansion unit" for th
> e C64. This unit increased its memory and provided for a RAM drive.
>      I would like to know if anyone has one of these or knows anything about th
> e units as I am interested in getting one. Any information would be appreciated
> .
>
>                          Thanks,
>                            Mitchell Markowitz

From what I hear of people having an REU, they are very satisfy.

You can set the REU so as to act just like another disk drive.
This is very helpful if you are writing a program and you are
constantly saving/loading modifications of your program.
Of course at the end, you have to save everything in the REU to
a real disk drive before power off if you want to save them
for later use.

The REU is very useful and comparable with GEOS. With an REU in place
instanteneous, and also if you store other Geos application in the REU
In general it accelerate the usage of GEOS since with a REU it eliminates
the constant very slow access time of a read disk drive.

There are  also BBS programs that use  a REU, the ones that I remember
is the Color64 and the Image. Makes the running of the board much
faster by keeping all the bbs executable modules in the REU.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen