[comp.sys.cbm] COMODORE

iain.bennett@canremote.uucp (IAIN BENNETT) (09/30/89)

I have several questions and answers I thought I would put in 1 message
to cut down on costs and things like that...

(Q) How much were Amiga 500's at the Commodore show in Phili?  The
Commodore Show up here will be coming soon, and I was wondering what the
prices down there were.  If possible, could you convert them to Canadian
Dollars?  Thanx

About that person who was complaining about Commodoore softwrae

The answer is, if software developers made software, games I'm really
hitting at, that worked with a 1764, 1581 and other hardware, people
might have to go out and buy these pieces of hardware for the game to
work.  Also, your computer does not have 640k.  That 512k is only for
use as a disk drive.  I have a 1764, and I wish there was more
productivity software for it, but the games would have a big problem.
The REUs are only for use as a diskdrive.

I would like to thank that person who wrote the message about the 1670
moddem.  I needed it for my BBS program I was writting.  Thank You

Iain Bennett

 * QNet 1.04a1: MCS BBS, Milton, On., Canada, (416)878-5935 (19200 HST)

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - QA) (10/06/89)

In article <89100219291040@masnet.uucp> iain.bennett@canremote.uucp
 (IAIN BENNETT) writes:

>About that person who was complaining about Commodoore softwrae
>
>The answer is, if software developers made software, games I'm really
>hitting at, that worked with a 1764, 1581 and other hardware, people
>might have to go out and buy these pieces of hardware for the game to
>work.  Also, your computer does not have 640k.  That 512k is only for
>use as a disk drive.  I have a 1764, and I wish there was more
>productivity software for it, but the games would have a big problem.
>The REUs are only for use as a diskdrive.

The RAM Expanders can be used in other ways besides a disk drive. The processor
cannot access the area directly, so programs can't execute from this space.
However, application software can use the REU as a swap space for executables
or as extended space for data (word processing documents, telecom buffers).

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (10/06/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <8104@cbmvax.UUCP>, joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - QA) wrote:
]In article <89100219291040@masnet.uucp> iain.bennett@canremote.uucp
]>
]
]The RAM Expanders can be used in other ways besides a disk drive. The processor
]cannot access the area directly, so programs can't execute from this space.
]However, application software can use the REU as a swap space for executables
]or as extended space for data (word processing documents, telecom buffers).

I would have to agree.  As a matter of fact, it is rather frustrating that I
am unable to use it for both at once....  (and I cannot run RAMDOS 4.3,
since it's vector installation wipes out some other vectors I need).

--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31