[comp.sys.cbm] Sick C64

marty@amc-gw.UUCP (Marty Akerman) (10/04/89)

I have a C64 that I recently purchased second-hand.  While it seemed fine
at first, it quickly developed a couple of problems that I don't understand.
I'm hoping you more experienced people could help me out.

The unit apparently had been shelved for several years before I bought it.

The problems:

  1:  It seems to have trouble running canned (purchased) programs from
      disk.  Sometimes the program will never start up correctly, sometimes
      it will spontaneously crap out, even when the program is in an idle
      state.  Looks like a disk drive problem to me.  I bought a cleaning
      disk (Allsop) and tried that, but no change.  Programs I have written
      and stored to disk load and run fine, but they are all (so far) in
      basic, and much smaller than the canned programs.

  2:  Picture quality is generally lousy.  The antenna cable (C64 to TV)
      is VERY sensitive to orientation, coiling, what it's near, me touching
      it, cats, weather, what I had for lunch, etc.  Generally what I see is
      sinusoidal waves across the picture, sometimes the screen is covered
      with snow.  It can get so bad that I can't even read those big basic
      characters.

What I've done:

  1:  I've read here recently about power supply problems.  Mine measures
      4.97 with 0.001 ripple.  This does seem to be an older unit, with
      no ground at the wall outlet.

  2:  I've connected my unit to someone else's TV.  Picture is MUCH better
      there.  I can't remember now if I was using my power supply or his,
      but I'm led to believe that my unit is fine and the problem is in
      the connection or my TV.  My TV set has a locked digital tuner, so
      I can't "tweak the tuning"

Unrelated questions:

  1:  I've read and heard about the "fast load cartridge".  I gather this
      is a cartridge that plugs into the cartridge port on the back and
      speeds up disk accesses enormously.  Sounds like a terrific idea.
      Where can I get one?  How does it work?

  2:  I would be interested in doing some assembly language programming.
      Are there assemblers available or do I have to hand assemble (yuk)?
      Where can I get one?

  3:  Any other words of wisdom you could offer a novice C64 hack?

labc-2aa@web-4h.berkeley.edu (Greg Burrell) (10/05/89)

In article <936@amc-gw.UUCP> marty@amc-gw.UUCP (Marty Akerman) writes:
>I have a C64 that I recently purchased second-hand.
>The problems:
>  1:  It seems to have trouble running canned (purchased) programs from
>      disk.  ... Programs I have written and stored to disk load and run
>      fine, but they are all (so far) in basic, and much smaller than the
>      canned programs.

	Ah, the infamous head-alignment problem. Simply put: the read/write
	head of your disk drive is out of alignment. The canned programs
	were written by a drive that has correct head alignment and since
	your alignment is bad, your drive cannot position itself in the
	proper place to correctly read all the data. Why does this happen?
	Largly because copy-protection schemes cause the head to bang
	repeatedly against the head stop. (That chattering noise you often
	hear when loading commercial programs.) Eventually the head goes out
	of alignment like yours. This is both the fault of software publishers
	who use copy protection and bad design by Commodore.
	Programs you write and save now will be
	written to the disk with incorrect alignment. Unfortunately, if
	you get the alignment fixed you will most likely not be able to
	read programs you saved under the bad alignment. How do you get
	the alignment fixed? Several ways:
	1. There  are programs available that will tell you how far out
  	   of alignment your read/write head is and will include
	   instructions on how to adjust it yourself.
	   Drawbacks: Your drive has to be well enough to load the
		diagnostic program or you have to be able to borrow  a
		good drive. Also, some disassembly of the drive is
		required.
	2. You can look for a repair center that will do this. This might
	   cost. Personally I think option 1 is better because it is
	   very likely that your alignment will go out again sometime
	   in the future. Also, you become more familiar with the drive
	   and how it works.

>  2:  Picture quality is generally lousy.  The antenna cable (C64 to TV)
>      is VERY sensitive to orientation, coiling, what it's near, me touching
>      it, cats, weather, what I had for lunch, etc.  Generally what I see is
>      sinusoidal waves across the picture, sometimes the screen is covered
>      with snow.  It can get so bad that I can't even read those big basic
>      characters.
	Sounds like your cable is not shielded and is picking up stray
	interference. Try finding a replacement.

> Other Questions:
>  1:  I've read and heard about the "fast load cartridge".  I gather this
>      is a cartridge that plugs into the cartridge port on the back and
>      speeds up disk accesses enormously.  Sounds like a terrific idea.
>      Where can I get one?  How does it work?
	There are a lot of fast-load cartridges available. A pretty standard
	one is called Fast Load and is put out by Epyx. They do not speed
	up all disk accesses, but do cause most programs to load 3-4 times
	faster. If there is a software store in town you might try there.
	If you have Wherehouse records, they sell a lot of software and
	should have one. Otherwise, pick up a C64 magazine like
	Compute's Gazette or Commodore and mail order a fast loader.
	Basically, they bypass a lot of the error checking done by the
	drive, use faster routines to read data from the disk, and
	improve communication between the drive and computer.

>  2:  I would be interested in doing some assembly language programming.
>      Are there assemblers available or do I have to hand assemble (yuk)?
>      Where can I get one?
	Abacus software puts out a decent assembler. Commodore also offers
	one. Look at a software store, or mail-order catalog. There are
	several available, but I think the one from Abacus is pretty
	standard.

>  3:  Any other words of wisdom you could offer a novice C64 hack?
	Just have fun. There are a lot of books and mags out there that
	have lots of info. Particularly good is a magazine called
	Transactor. Its very technically and hacker oriented. Most
	importantly, post to this group with your questions. There are
	a lot of knowledgable people out there just waiting to answer.

			-Greg

Greg Burrell
labc-2aa@WEB.berkeley.edu
University of California, Berkeley

dyson@lilac.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (10/05/89)

In article <1989Oct5.032118.26864@agate.berkeley.edu> labc-2aa@web-4h (Greg Burrell) writes:
>In article <936@amc-gw.UUCP> marty@amc-gw.UUCP (Marty Akerman) writes:
>
>>  2:  I would be interested in doing some assembly language programming.
>>      Are there assemblers available or do I have to hand assemble (yuk)?
>>      Where can I get one?
>	Abacus software puts out a decent assembler. Commodore also offers
>	one. Look at a software store, or mail-order catalog. There are
>	several available, but I think the one from Abacus is pretty
>	standard.
>			-Greg

To add my 2 Pfennig worth, I'm very fond of the 'Power Assembler' in the 'Better
Working' stable.  It's usually available for around $20.00, and the 'buddy system'
is a very powerful assembler.  Documentation is fair, and the included libraries
are very comprehensive.  Your best bet for more info is 'C-64/128 Assembly
Language Programming' in the SAMS series.  I've not seen a better treatment of the
subject.

                         -Mark-
Anybody can write sharp-looking code on a Mac.  Success on a C-128 is a labour of love.

profesor@wpi.wpi.edu (Matthew E Cross) (10/10/89)

In article <936@amc-gw.UUCP>, marty@amc-gw.UUCP (Marty Akerman) says:

>I have a C64 that I recently purchased second-hand.  While it seemed fine
>at first, it quickly developed a couple of problems that I don't understand.
>I'm hoping you more experienced people could help me out.
>
>The unit apparently had been shelved for several years before I bought it.
>
>The problems:
>
>  1:  It seems to have trouble running canned (purchased) programs from
>      disk.  Sometimes the program will never start up correctly, sometimes
>      it will spontaneously crap out, even when the program is in an idle
>      state.  Looks like a disk drive problem to me.  I bought a cleaning
>      disk (Allsop) and tried that, but no change.  Programs I have written
>      and stored to disk load and run fine, but they are all (so far) in
>      basic, and much smaller than the canned programs.

If it is a disk drive problem, it is probably the alignment if it's a 1541.
I've owned my system for about 7-8 yrs., and the alignment of the 1541 is a
constant problem. It's caused by the way the drive resets the head - by banging
it against the track 1 head stop. There is an article in an old RUN magazine
that shows you how to fix it, but it's actually not that difficult. You
basically just have to disassemble the drive, look for the stepper motor
screws, loosen them, adjust motor a little (twist), tighten screws, and try
to get a directory. If you get a directory good, try reading the inside and
outside tracks (1 and 35). If it reads those quickly and easily, then it is in
good alignment. If you can get a hold of Vorpal utilities by Epyx, it has a
drive alignment checker on it that helps a lot!

Hope this helps...