[comp.sys.cbm] Question about Modems

Is this for real? <COIL%igl@eng.eng.ohio-state.edu> (10/11/89)

Hello,

	I have a couple small but easy to answer questions.  I want to use my
C64 with a modem.  For those of you who are using non-Commodore modems, should
I purchase a user-port to RS-232 connector or could I hack that out pretty
easily.  Is the 64 able to handle 2400 baud?   And lastly, could someone
tell me about the C-1680 modem; I do not no any specks on it what-so-ever.

Thanks

MisTer C				coil@igl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Interactive Graphics Laboratory

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (10/11/89)

In article <66089@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> COIL%igl@eng.eng.ohio-state.edu (Is this for real?) writes:
>	I have a couple small but easy to answer questions.  I want to use my
>C64 with a modem.  For those of you who are using non-Commodore modems, should
>I purchase a user-port to RS-232 connector or could I hack that out pretty
>easily.

You have three options: (1) buy a Commodore modem, (2) buy an RS-232
modem and an RS-232 adaptor to fit it to your Commodore, or (3) buy an
RS-232 modem and wire up an interface of your own.

I was faced with this decision, and here's my reasoning:

(1) If you buy a Commodore modem, you can just plug it in and it goes.
Unfortunately, if/when you upgrade to a new computer, you don't stand
a chance in bitland that you will be able to get your modem to work
with it.  The 1660 and 1670 (300 and 1200 baud, respectively, or was
the 1670 a 2400 baud piece?) were designed specifically for 8-bit
Commodore computers; if your faith in Commodore's future is at all
shaky, I'd pass up this option lest you invest in a dead-end.

(2) I bought a 1200 baud RS-232 modem and a Mostek interface board.
The board plugs right into my user port, and the modem goes snugly
into it.  No problems there!  This lets me use my modem with my
Macintosh when I have need to, and if I ever get any other RS-232
equipment (MIDI, mayhaps?), I can use it instead of the modem.  I
understand that Aprotek also makes RS-232 and modem (stripped-down
RS-232) interface boards for Commodores; you might check in Compute!
or Run Magazine for ads.

(3) I did think about making my own board, but finally decided against
it.  It would have to change inputs of zero-to-five volts to
three-to-nine-or-twelve volts -- not a project for the weak of heart,
especially considering that a miswiring could turn your Commodore into
a nice little fireworks display.

>  Is the 64 able to handle 2400 baud?

Sure!  The I/O chips in the Commodore 64 and 128 are capable of rates up to
2400 baud, and at least one program (DesTerm) has been known to finnagle
speeds of 9600 baud out of a Commodore 128.

>   And lastly, could someone
>tell me about the C-1680 modem; I do not no any specks on it what-so-ever.

Well, that's good; nice of Commodore to produce clean hardware.  >:)

I've never heard of the C-1680; any volunteers?

>Thanks

De nada.

>MisTer C				coil@igl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
>Interactive Graphics Laboratory

You do *graphics*?  In *C*?  And you don't use an Amiga?!?

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) (10/11/89)

In article <66089@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> COIL%igl@eng.eng.ohio-state.edu (Is this for real?) writes:
>Hello,
>
>	I have a couple small but easy to answer questions.  I want to use my
>C64 with a modem.  For those of you who are using non-Commodore modems, should
>I purchase a user-port to RS-232 connector or could I hack that out pretty
>easily.

I have built my own RS-232 converter. An IC, two resistors and
a diode did the trick. This only works when your modem accepts TTL
level voltages. If is doesn't your interface becomes a little bit
more complicated.

>Is the 64 able to handle 2400 baud?

Yes, but you need some extra software. Recently such a program was posted
to this group. It would make the C64 able to handle 2400 baud.

> And lastly, could someone
>tell me about the C-1680 modem; I do not no any specks on it what-so-ever.

Me neither.

Reg Lobee
rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl