[comp.sys.cbm] Proposed archive

thor@stout.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) (10/27/89)

Well, I've seen a number of people ask about ftp sites for CBM items
in the last few months, but no mention of actual sites. So I am going
to propose a slightly different archive - an email based one.

I already am running such an archive for users of a particular realtime
operating system, so adding CBM support would not be hard. The archive
works very simply - one mails a request to the server, which then sends
the requested item(s) via email.

Now the hard part - it would need something to go into it! So if people
are interested I need to know --

1> Is there enough demand for me to proceed?

2> Are there enough items to go into the archive to make it viable?
			Richard Neitzel
			National Center For Atmospheric Research
			Box 3000
			Boulder, CO 80307-3000
			303-497-2057

			thor@thor.ucar.edu

    	Torren med sitt skjegg		Thor with the beard
    	lokkar borni under sole-vegg	calls the children to the sunny wall
    	Gjo'i med sitt shinn		Gjo with the pelts
    	jagar borni inn.		chases the children in.

bwildasi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) (10/27/89)

Y      Y   EEEEEEEE   SSSSSSS    !!!
 Y    Y    E          S          !!!
  Y  Y     EEEEEE     SSSSSSS    !!!
   YY      E                S    !!!
   YY      E                S
   YY	   EEEEEEEEE  SSSSSSS    !!!

By all means do it!
(And as for whether there is enough stuff, there ARE 25,000 c64/128
public domain programs out there ... )

:->

Ben Wildasin

Ben Wildasin * Mail: bwildasi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu * Phone: (812) 332-0245
"Since there was once water on Mars, probably there is enough oxygen there to
support human life." --Dan Quayle

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (10/27/89)

In article <28519@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bwildasi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) writes:
}
}
}Y      Y   EEEEEEEE   SSSSSSS    !!!
} Y    Y    E          S          !!!
}  Y  Y     EEEEEE     SSSSSSS    !!!
}   YY      E                S    !!!
}   YY      E                S
}   YY	    EEEEEEEEE  SSSSSSS    !!!
}
}By all means do it!

Ditto.  Well said.

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/27/89)

In article <4841@ncar.ucar.edu> thor@thor.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) writes:

>Well, I've seen a number of people ask about ftp sites for CBM items
>in the last few months, but no mention of actual sites. So I am going

  Well, just so you won't say that there are NO C64/128 Archive sites.
There is ONE (Yes, just ONE!) C64 archive in (tah-dah!)
	tolsun.oulu.fi             128.214.5.6
(.fi, that is Finland!!!!)
The only problem, with that, besides of being in Finland, is that the
C64 stuff doesn't seem to be very well supported.

>to propose a slightly different archive - an email based one.
>1> Is there enough demand for me to proceed?
   What you propose is indeed a good idea

>2> Are there enough items to go into the archive to make it viable?
   Well, there is plenty of stuff for the C64/128.

Now, for some questions.
1) Would people be able to submit a program easily?  What would be the
criteria for the programs to be archived?

2) Since most Mail links are usually 7 bit connections, there would be
need for UUencoding/UUdecoding binaries.  Does anybody has such
program that would do that in the C64/128?  (There used to be one, but
I didn't save it, sorry)  Also, some connections, won't accept mail
messages bigger than 64K so some way to split and join files neatly in
the C64 will be needed.  Who would like to write such application for
the C64/128?

3) I think we need a monthly posting service that will post answers to
common questions, like:
	-Where is Kermit? (FTP'able from maxwell.physics.purdue.edu:
	 128.46.135.3)
	-VT100 Emulation on the 64/128? (Kermit for 64 and Desterm 128
	 are best)
	-Where can I find Desterm 128? (Nobody knows, but I can mail
	 you a copy...)
	-Are there any Archive sites for the 64/128? (Right now there
	 is only Tolsun.oulu.fi: 128.214.5.6)
	-Can the 64 do 2400bd? (Yes, but you need a special program.
	 If you want one, I can email you a program that will do it!)
If nobody wants to volunteer for doing this, I would do it, but mail
me some "Common Asked Questions" and some answers too!  (Sorry, I
don't know EVERYTHING!)

Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

rvermaa@cs.vu.nl (Richard Vermaas ) (10/27/89)

thor@stout.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) writes:

>Well, I've seen a number of people ask about ftp sites for CBM items
>in the last few months, but no mention of actual sites. So I am going
>to propose a slightly different archive - an email based one.

Yes, please do. Over here we have a group of people with c64's who have
access to mail and news but have no permision to use ftp (including me)
so an email based archive would be VERY much appreciated.

                                               Succes,
					       Richard Vermaas
					       mcsun!cs.vu.nl!rvermaa

mhirsch@cs.vu.nl (Max Hirschfeld) (10/27/89)

>In article <28519@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bwildasi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) writes:
}
}
}Y      Y   EEEEEEEE   SSSSSSS    !!!
} Y    Y    E          S          !!!
}  Y  Y     EEEEEE     SSSSSSS    !!!
}   YY      E                S    !!!
}   YY      E                S
}   YY	    EEEEEEEEE  SSSSSSS    !!!
}
}By all means do it!
YES! I'm all for it too!!!

Xam.
Xam the Emperor    | If space and time are relative, why did they never come
Amsterdam, Holland | to my birthday party? (Alexei Sayle)
mhirsch@cs.vu.nl   |

rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) (10/27/89)

mhirsch@cs.vu.nl (Max Hirschfeld) writes:

|>In article <28519@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bwildasi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) writes:
|}
|}
|}Y      Y   EEEEEEEE   SSSSSSS    !!!
|} Y    Y    E          S          !!!
|}  Y  Y     EEEEEE     SSSSSSS    !!!
|}   YY      E                S    !!!
|}   YY      E                S
|}   YY	    EEEEEEEEE  SSSSSSS    !!!
|}
|}By all means do it!
|YES! I'm all for it too!!!

And me!

Reg Lobee
rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (10/27/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <20828@usc.edu>, acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) wrote:
>The only problem, with that, besides of being in Finland, is that the
>C64 stuff doesn't seem to be very well supported.

And tolsun is not always easy to get to.... busy site, with 'irc' and all.

>2) Since most Mail links are usually 7 bit connections, there would be
>need for UUencoding/UUdecoding binaries.  Does anybody has such
>program that would do that in the C64/128?  (There used to be one, but
>I didn't save it, sorry)  Also, some connections, won't accept mail
>messages bigger than 64K so some way to split and join files neatly in
>the C64 will be needed.  Who would like to write such application for
>the C64/128?

Why on the 64/128?  Why reinvent the wheel?  Your local UNIX should have all
the needed utilities - if not, they can be had from many archive sites.

Let UNIX do the work.  Then simply sx or sy it to your machine.

You can also use kermit in binary mode, or the more generic "xmodem" command..

--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/28/89)

In article <635@uwm.edu> jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
>>need for UUencoding/UUdecoding binaries.  Does anybody has such
>>program that would do that in the C64/128?  (There used to be one, but
>Why on the 64/128?  Why reinvent the wheel?  Your local UNIX should have all
 [Why reinvent uuencoding for the C64/128?]
Main reason is that some people are not as fortunate as we are to have
available all this utilities on our host (Not everybody is using Unix)
and still some peopl don't seem to get the configuration right!  (Like
they have to transfer files to their host, download it to a Mac, then
pass it trough a Connection to their Commodore,  The more steps you
take the most likely for a binary file to loose characters.

>Let UNIX do the work.  Then simply sx or sy it to your machine.
>You can also use kermit in binary mode, or the more generic "xmodem" command..
 (That is what I usually do! :)

In article <3855@loper.cs.vu.nl> Richard Vermaas <mcsun!cs.vu.nl!rvermaa> writes:
>thor@stout.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) writes:
>>Well, I've seen a number of people ask about ftp sites for CBM items
>>in the last few months, but no mention of actual sites. So I am going
>>to propose a slightly different archive - an email based one.
>Yes, please do. Over here we have a group of people with c64's who have

Since, I had some free time over here, I wrote a e-mail based archive
in bourne shell.  And set it up in my student account at usc.edu.  So
you can all try it out, and see what happens.  (A big 4 hour hack for
you to play with...)  Note that the server is in state of beta
testing, that is, I have tested the major functions and seems to me
that it works, but you can't say that until it has been tested in
"real life".

To make it work, you have to send mail to ME, at:
	acliu%skat@usc.edu or acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Those are Internet Addresses, if your system doesn't support those,
see your local e-mail guru.  All sites, have one of those guys! :-)

Anyways, back to the e-mail archive server... in the subject line you
should put:
	Subject: Mail-Archive-Request
(This is VERY important, the Server will read the message and if it
sees that line, it will process your request, otherwise, it will think
that is a normal mail message destined to me.)

The server will understand the following commands in the message:
	path <Path from me to you>
	help <topic>
	send <volume> <file>
	contents <volume>
	index <volume>
	receive <volume> <file>

The following is the file that you would get if you send a help
request:

	      Introduction to Alex's Mail Archive Server

NOTE:  This archive server has nothing to do with USC.  It is a
service provided by me to the Net.  Please do not abuse this service,
I am only a student here, and wouldn't afford get kicked out of school
because of this joke of Archive!

The idea of this Server is to serve request of popular programs for
the Commodore 8-bit family of computers.  This is due because of the
INCREDIBLE lack of FTP Archive sites for the Commodore.

Server Software:

The way the Server is written, it is simply a hook to the Sendmail
forwarding mechanism.  The entire server software is writen in Bourne
Shell scripts.  The Server is available from here, by requesting file:
   send unix-support server

How the Server Works:
To make use of the server you have to send a Mail message to me,
<acliu@skat.usc.edu> and have a subject line:
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!  If you don't have that line spelled exactly
like that you won't get anything, and I will get a mailbox full of
junk messages.  Somewhere along the header there should be a line
saying:
Usually, mail adds this automagically, but if it were not the case,
you can specify a return path by puting a line in the body of your
message saying:
   path <from me to you>

In the body of your message you put the Mail Archive request.  You can
put several request in a single message, one request per line.  The
following request are honored:

   path <return path from to you>
       Forces M-AR to send the file to the mailing address specified
       in its argument
   help [topic]
       Sends help on the topic.  Default is this intro file.
   contents [volume]
       Sends the contents of the volume.  Defualt will send the list
       of available volumes AND the contents of the Help volume.
   index [volume]
       Sends the directory list of the volume.  Default will send the
       directory for help volume
   send [volume] [file]
       Sends the file on the specified volume.  Default Volume is
       help, and default file is contents.

Please note that all the request keyboards are in lowercase letters.
And the ARE case sensitive.  That means, you can't send a message:
   cOnTeNts help
and  expect the server to understand you.

Submitting files
================
   The server allows other users to submit files to the server.  Send
a request for "help contribution" for more information.

NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE
Currently the Server software is in beta testing.  If you experience
any problems, send mail to me.  (Just don't put a Subject:
Mail-Archive-Server) on it.  I will try to figure out what is wrong.
Tough, I can't guarantee that the Server will work for ALL systems.

Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (10/28/89)

The mail archive sounds good to me.  I don't access to off site ftp, so ftp
archives don't excite me.

I can think of three programs to start the archive with (Kermit, desterm and
the Power-C compatible assembler).
--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)