[comp.sys.cbm] Short Answers to Common Questions

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/28/89)

NOTE, this is a draft for what would be a monthly posting service, so
old timers to the net, won't so easily bored looking at the same
questions posted over and over again....

Please Sends any suggestions or corrections, or what you would like to
see added or deleted.  Again, this is only a draft.  The finished
document, will probably look very simmilar to this one, but will be
entirely different.  Again I am open to suggestions...

----Cute Here----Cute Here----Cute Here----Cute Here----Cute Here---
This is a monthly posting service.  Send suggestions and corrections
to acliu@skat.usc.edu.
This file is available for automatic retreival at acliu@skat.usc.edu
>Subject: Mail-Archive-Request
 send help cbm.questions

Simple Answers to Common Questions:
Q: Can the C64/128 do 2400bd?
A: It certainly can.  The C64 can do 2400bd in a not so reliable
manner tough.  You will able to receive or transmit data at 2400bd,
but probably you won't be able to have any kind of file emulation or
80 column screen.
   Currently, I the only PD program for the C64 that will do a more or
less reliable 2400bd communication is CCGMS7.0.
   The C128, with its RGB 80 Column output and 2Mhz mode, can go up to
9600bd.   (Though, some older C128, can only do 4800bd)
   Currently, there is a shareware program called Desterm that will do
9600bd and also have VERY nice features.  (Shareware $25)
Q: Is there a VT100 emulator for the C64 that is 100% compatible?
A: Sure there is, for the C64 there are plenty available, like:
	v/wtermite	kermit		vt100.emulator
just to name a few.  Some are more compatible than others.  I have
found no problems with using "kermit".  Most incompatibility problems
with kermit arises when kermit starts using flow control and the host
doesn't recognize that.  They can be easily worked out by reading the
kermit documentation.
   For the C128, there are also several vt100 emulators, like
vt100-128 and desterm.  Both claim to support 100% compatibility with
VT100.  Again, most compatibility problems with those programs can be
fixed by reading the manual and setting the right parameters.
Q: Why a 128 keeps acting like a 64?
A: That is because most programs are written for the 64.  The reason
for this is that most software authors want to reach the bigger market
of 64s.  (After all, 128 owners can still use 64 software)  compared
to a small user base of 128s, 64 is a major player!
Q: Are there any Hard Disks for the C64?
A: Yes, two manufacturers make them, they are Xetec, and Data Chief.
It is also rummored that you could use a IEEE-488 Hard Drive if you
have the right interface.
Q: Are there any Archive sites for the C64 or C128?
A: Yes, currently there are a couple ftp sites and one mail archive server.
The ftp sites are:
	tolsun.oulu.fi             128.214.5.6
	maxwell.physics.purdue.edu 128.46.135.3
And the mail archive server accessable by sending mail to acliu@skat.usc.edu,
using a subject line
>	Subject: Mail-Archive-Request
and put in the body of the message a line:
	help
for more information.
Q: Where to get Desterm or Kermit?
A: You can get it from a BBS or from an archive site.
Q: What is the Punter Protocol?
A: Punter's C1 Protocol is a file transfer protocol simmilar to
Xmodem, but a lot more reliable.  It was written by Steve Punter, one
of C64 Telecommunication's pionner.  You may be able to get PAL
sources for his code from some of the finest archive sites.
Please, e-mail any suggestions or corrections

Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) (10/29/89)

In the note,"Short Answers to Common Questions", acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro
Liu) says:

>Q: Are there any Hard Disks for the C64?
>A: Yes, two manufacturers make them, they are Xetec, and Data Chief.
>It is also rummored that you could use a IEEE-488 Hard Drive if you
>have the right interface.

I believe ICT (In Control) who manufactured the Mini Chief and the Data
Chief is no longer in operation.

Also, if anyone has information on using the IEEE-488 Hard Drive, I'd
appreciate it.
-------
| Tony Marasco                 |  "Questions are a burden for others.     |
| Penn State University        |   Answers are a prison for oneself."     |
| Schuylkill Haven, PA 17976   |     - The Prisoner                       |
| trm900@psuvm.psu.edu   - or - -  %s!psuvax1!psuvm.BITNET!trm900         |