[comp.sys.cbm] 1764 REU Opinions Sought

zz96sr@net1.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) (10/30/89)

     I'm a happy GEOS user, using dual 1541 drives.  From what I read in
the magazines, the model 1764 REU is a "hot item" when using GEOS.  I also
hear that availability if the REU is a problem.

    I'm soliciting opinions on the RAM Expansion Unit.  Anybody in netland
have and use one with GEOS?  Can it be helpful with other programs (Paper-
Clip, for one)?

    Any response is appreciated.

                                              --Steve

stokes@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Perry Stokes) (10/30/89)

In article <2033@network.ucsd.edu> zz96sr@net1.ucsd.edu (Steve Rusk) writes:

>     I'm a happy GEOS user, using dual 1541 drives.  From what I read in
>the magazines, the model 1764 REU is a "hot item" when using GEOS.  I also
>hear that availability if the REU is a problem.
>
>    I'm soliciting opinions on the RAM Expansion Unit.  Anybody in netland
>have and use one with GEOS?  Can it be helpful with other programs (Paper-
>Clip, for one)?
>
>    Any response is appreciated.
>
>                                              --Steve

...I used to own a 1764 and while they did some things well, they do not truely
fit the definition "Ram Expander", "Ram Disk" is a more accurate term.

I recall reading about them in Compute! about 5 years ago and thought "Wow!
now I can have expanded memory to program in!" --Wrong.  The only use I've seen
for them is as a Ram Drive, and they do that well.  My brother has one, he
bought it when he was running color-64 and it worked with color-64 well.  Now,
he still has it and uses it on his 128 for Geos and it works nicley.  One of
the main disadvantage people see with them is the fact that you have to copy
the files into the ram drive, and since it hogs up the expansion port you
cannot use any fastloader.  Without a fast loader, it takes quite some time to
copy 512K worth of files from 170K floppys.

Personally, I would strongly suggest getting a 1581 before you get a Ram, with
a 1581 it is *MUCH* easier to set up the ram disk, as you don't have to flip
disks and there are already numerous excellent utilities for this combo.

Hope this helps,

Perry Stokes  -  stokes@vondrake.cc.utexas.edu  (512)-836-2163 voice...