[comp.sys.cbm] VT100 emulations and EMACS

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (10/25/89)

Note: no C64/C128 VT100 emulation that in any way requires flow control (and
as far as I know, they all do) to allow screen updates to keep up with the
baud rate used (1200 and up) will work properly with EMACS *unless*:

EMACS is configured to do 2 things it doesn't normally do:

1) Run with host flow control enabled (for UNIX implementations
this requires some magical incantation which puts the tty
driver into CBREAK (vs. RAW) mode).

2) Avoid the characters ^S and ^Q as editing commands (this
requires binding these commands to some other key sequence
and unbinding ^S and ^Q from any commands).

EMACS was originally written to work *only* with terminals which required no
flow control at all. Since C64 terminals do, these considerations must be made
for it to work properly. Hope this answers the rash of EMACS/C64 queries that
have come up lately.
Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

dyson@ostrich.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (10/26/89)

In article <POSTNEWS24781@NADC.ARPA> prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
>Note: no C64/C128 VT100 emulation that in any way requires flow control (and
>as far as I know, they all do) to allow screen updates to keep up with the
>baud rate used (1200 and up) will work properly with EMACS *unless*:

I must reiterate my earlier response in this area.  I have been using a C-128
vt-100 emulator with Emacs for many months now, and have yet to run across
_ANY_ problems.  The emulator is an upgrade of the original one packaged with
the 1670 modem, done by F. Bowen.  I obtained it through Quantum link, and so
to the best of my knowledge it is in the public domain.  I don't recall having
used ^S lately, but page breaks using ^Q^L go in just fine.  I have
never tried to tear into the code (no time, but I will one day), so I don't
know just how it works with our Vax, but it does, and flawlessly!  I have in
no way customized my Emacs interface--it runs totally in default mode on my
Sun or my C-128.

File name on Q-link is vt100.128 (some sort of v2 is also possibly in the
title, I can't recall.  It's easy enough to find in the applications area
of the Link).

I hope this quells any rumors of not being able to run Emacs on a 128.
For my next trick I'll try to get it to run on a vt-52 in C-64 mode, but
don't hope for any miracles! :-D

-Mark-

scott@max.u.washington.edu (10/26/89)

In article <73080@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, dyson@ostrich.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) writes:

 [...portion of the text deleted...]

> I hope this quells any rumors of not being able to run Emacs on a 128.
> For my next trick I'll try to get it to run on a vt-52 in C-64 mode, but
> don't hope for any miracles! :-D
>
> -Mark-

Pardon me for asking this, but what are EMACS and what are they used
for?

Scott.

rschofie@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (10/26/89)

I use the VT-52 emulator that came with my 1670 modem with EMACS and I have
NEVER had any problems. I use it with a plain old C-64. I have never had to
change any defaults in UNIX. Of course I switch to 80 columns on the VT-52
emulator. (CTRL 8).

                                           Robert Schofield

	{pur-ee,ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!rschofie
	rschofie@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)
	rschofie@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)

dyson@dory.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (10/26/89)

In article <9155@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>Pardon me for asking this, but what are EMACS and what are they used
>for?

Nothing to pardon.  Emacs _is_ a screen editor that is very commonly used
by UNIX machines (I'm writing this via my Emacs window via my C-128 right
now).  One of the greatest things about it is how it can be tailored to
what you're writing.  If I'm programming in C, Cobol, Pascal, or whatever,
it gives the appropriate tab stops, etc.  In pure text mode (like now)
it's a super word processor.  It's applications go on and on...

-Mark-

rwillis@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard "Crash" Willis) (10/26/89)

  Hello, does anyone out there have a good GIF, or any GIF, converter for
C-64? I seem to remember someone asking for a BETTER GIF because his take
about an hour.  Could someone send me one or tell me where to ftp for it?
Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------   "Nice tea."                       |
      -Worf                          |     INTERNET: rwillis@hubcap.clemson.edu                                      |
My opinions are ideas with delusions of grandeur- :)

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (10/27/89)

]
]EMACS is configured to do 2 things it doesn't normally do:
]
]1) Run with host flow control enabled (for UNIX implementations
]this requires some magical incantation which puts the tty
]driver into CBREAK (vs. RAW) mode).
]
]2) Avoid the characters ^S and ^Q as editing commands (this
]requires binding these commands to some other key sequence
]and unbinding ^S and ^Q from any commands).

Our school's PACX switch relies entirely on software flow control,
so we have patched our default .emacs file as so to fix this:

;; replace C-s with C-\ in a much more general way so that C-\ can be typed
;; for every instance of C-s. It is at such a low level that emacs even thinks
;; that you typed a C-s.  replace C-s with C-\  ,  globally
;; this disables any command which uses C-\ I believe there are two
;; note that position \034(octal) which is C-\ is switched with \023(octal)
;; which is C-s

(setq keyboard-translate-table "\000\001\002\003\004\005\006\007\010\011\012\013\014\015\016\017\020\021\022\023\024\025\026\027\030\031\032\033\023\035\036\037 !\042#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\134]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~\177")

	;; change ctrl-q so it can be used as flow control
	;; remap C-q tp ESC `

(global-unset-key "\C-q")
(global-set-key "\e`" 'quoted-insert)
(setq trim-versions-without-asking t)

	;; change input mod to CBREAK mode for C-s C-q
	;; emacs will never see C-s, C-q
(set-input-mode nil t)

	;; change help command from C-h to ESC ?
	;; so we can use C-h for backspace
(global-unset-key "\C-h")
(global-set-key "\e?" 'help-command)

	;; set backspce to delete a char same as DEL
(global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)

These changes do a little more than just ^S/^Q, but they are all useful.

--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

dyson@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (10/31/89)

In article <6882@hubcap.clemson.edu> rwillis@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard "Crash" Willis) writes:

>  Hello, does anyone out there have a good GIF, or any GIF, converter for
>C-64?

The question goes double for me.  How about it?  Some titles for GIF converters
that may be on Compuserve would also be nice.  Thanks.

-Mark-