[comp.sys.cbm] VIC-20 memory expansion

john@wsl.UUCP (John Allen on wsl) (11/10/89)

A friend has a VIC-20 and an 8K memory expansion cartridge. The memory
cartridge does not appear to be working.

What I want to know is are there any switches/jumpers to be set on the
system board to make this cartridge work, or should it work by just
plugging it in.

Thanks for any info that can be supplied.

--

				   "Don't quote me on any issue whatsoever."

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (11/11/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <276@wsl.UUCP>, john@wsl.UUCP (John Allen on wsl) wrote:
>A friend has a VIC-20 and an 8K memory expansion cartridge. The memory
>cartridge does not appear to be working.
>
>What I want to know is are there any switches/jumpers to be set on the
>system board to make this cartridge work, or should it work by just
>plugging it in.

Depends.  A Commodore 8K expander?  As I recall, that unit could be
configured to work in any of the four 8K blocks that you could put RAM into.
There should either be some DIP switches on the case, or perhaps inside the
case.

The VIC's memory layout went something like this (very loosely):

$0000-$03FF   Internal RAM
$0400-$0FFF   Open for 3K External Expansion
$1000-$1FFF   4K Internal RAM
$2000-$3FFF   8K External RAM (RAM1)
$4000-$5FFF   8K External RAM (RAM2)
$6000-$7FFF   8K External RAM (RAM3)
$8000-$8FFF   I/O Block
$9000-$9FFF   Character Generator ROM
$A000-$BFFF   8K External RAM (RAM5)
$C000-$FFFF   BASIC and KERNAL ROMs.

Your 8K expander could be mapped into RAM1, RAM2, RAM3, or RAM5.  For BASIC
to recognize it, you must start by filling RAM1 (or the 3K slot, but you
need a 3K expander for that) and adding upwards.  You may add up to 24K
total (RAM1-3).  RAM5 is mostly used for ML applications and cartridges.
It's quite likely that your expander is set for RAM2, RAM3, or RAM5.  If it
is, it is working - but BASIC cannot see it because BASIC needs continuous
memory.

Check the switches.  Further problems?  Send me E-mail.  I never had one of
the CBM 8K expanders, but I am familiar with the VIC.

--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31